Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 09:24 PM

Default bad time fo ra check raise

concealed A with 10 on top. I raise 3rd a K calls and another called. On fourth I get a 7 so board 107. K3 checks other player checks I bet. K3 raises third plays folds I just call. (Plan to raise when double bet on 5th)

5th comes gives her a blank and me another 7, I have (A)(A) 1077 I check thinking she will bet back. She checks. On 6th I get another J so I have two pair on the board. I now bet and she folds.

Was the play on 5th a good chance to try a check-raise?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: bad time fo ra check raise

I think you're better off to bet on 5th.

For starters, you have to realize that, because you hit an open pair, that she might not want to make this bet now, especially if she only has 1 pair. And why should you give her a free card? Look, if she wants to keep playing, she will.

And, on the flipside to that, if she DID happen to have kings or kings up and believes that it's the best hand and/or if she had an aggressive tendency...then betting straight out might even yield you more $ because she might even raise you when you bet and then you can back raise it. Whereas, the CR play is usally the sign of a MUCH bigger hand, and, due to that, it may actually earn you less on the hand, so yeah, when I think about all the possible things that may occur, I definitely prefer to bet.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:31 AM

I agree, if I didn't think it was a mistake I prob would not have posted it. I was wondering when does anybody really think the check raise works for them. I play 5/10 so not as many aggressive player who like to bet for value you can count on. So usually a check means free card, and now you have to get a raise on the next street to even equal two regular bets.

What I'm saying is would it not be better to just bet if you are first to act. It means you have a more powerful board, and like pairs, least inclined to get bet into, also with hands like two pair or trips on fifth, if I started with premium pairs I raised on third, bet fourth so now trying a check-raise the other players look to it as a free card chance. And like I said if they get a free card on fifth, even a raise on sixth mean 2 bets just like if I bet on both streets?

Just want some examples of when and how to use the check raise, how many players, boards, who was the aggressor going into that street, because unless its like a made draw, or trips to a concealed pair usually I was the aggressor, or I have a good board and no one bets so trying the check raise wastes me a bet. (This is crucial with three other players or so)
Old 08-25-2007, 01:38 AM

Since you raised on third and most live $5/10 players are pretty passive, I think that the check-raise was a little much to hope for. I would have just bet.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:52 PM

docholiday420 Today, 04:13 PM Post #12

Flush

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,558

OK thanks for this advice (by the way I think this is a far better forum then the 2+2 one) bunch of cocky jerks who play 1/2, limit.

Doc, I just read this over at United Poker Forum...is this you? Cause it sure looks like it to me.