Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 09:04 PM

Default $20: Head Up vs Maniacs

Last two SnGs I've been in, I've made final two, and got guys pushing all in pre flop 60-70% of the time, with the big blind at say 200 and stacks of about 6500 each.

I've heard that a style like this is correct heads up when you are facing an opponent who is likely to outplay you. What is a way to combat this style when players are trying to make it a crapshoot? Is it correct to call all ins with hands like A2 and KQ? Ideally, I'd like to outplay them, but this style they use against me negates alot of the playing advantage.

I generally approach this Maniac aggression trying to trap, but at some point, the trapping situation doesn't come soon or often enough. Whats the best way to handle this All in maniacs?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:24 AM

Default Re: $20: Head Up vs Maniacs

If they're pushing deep when you also are deep with a similar stack size, you can (and should, I think) afford to wait for a fairly reasonable hand. I call with most any PP, any A and a handful of decent Ks. Ish, depending on how selective I think they're being from what I've seen so far.

If you can put a number on their range, use poker stove to find a good calling range with different stack sizes. Not sure what the right minimum edge is when you're so deep, but as long as you err on the side of caution with his range, anything decently over 50% ought to be cool??

This deep, limp stuff you'd call a push with (if he's pushing over limps a fair amount - otherwise, play normal from your button). Be happy to limp/fold junk to encourage pushes over your limps and get his ego feeding his aggression.

If they suddenly limp or make a standard raise, fold as soon as possible unless you can beat AA/KK type stuff. They'll sometimes slow play these enough to allow you to draw with good/infinite odds - especially since they ain't folding their hand when they tricked you so well. As you say, he wouldn't play like this if he was any good post-flop.

If you're shallower, limp more cautiously and start pushing a bit earlier than normal to keep your stack healthy.

I've written that like it's proper grown-up advice - I should have put it in the first person. It's what I do. You'll probably get better advice though.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: $20: Head Up vs Maniacs

ymu is right. Decide how much of an edge you need and call with a range that gives you that edge.

If he's pushing 60-70% of hands, you don't need much of hand to call him with.

I'd bee like 44+, A2+, K2+, Q4s+, Q7o+, J7s+, JTo, T9o, T8s+ or something like that.

edit: meh, I poker stoved that. I'd be tighter I guess. That was off the top of my head. Also, I get enjoyment out of calling with T8s and it being the best hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. You look like a hero which is +EV.