Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 02:25 AM

Default AK facing aggression

read are pretty nonexistent. ive only been at the table for like 25 hands and villain hasnt done anything noticeable.

50nl 6max
effective stack 50
dealt to hero A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG

pre flop: hero raises to 2, MP call, Button calls, blinds fold.

flop (6.75)-A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
hero bets 5, MP folds, Button raises to 15, hero calls 10.

turn (36.75)A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
hero checks, villain bets 20, hero pushes....

decent? terrible? decently terrible?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:33 AM

Default Re: AK facing aggression

You have top trips with the best kicker, but your opponent is acting like he flopped a set? You have a few options...push (as you did), fold (VERY tough laydown to make) or call and try to boat on the river. If you don't believe your opponent has a set, pushing is the best option. Personally, I don't think I could lay this down. The only reasonable holdings you are behind to is 33 and 77, unless your table is coldcalling with A3 and A7. I think you are ahead enough to make pushing an EV+ play, considering you still have 7 outs against a set.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:37 AM

i dont think folding or calling the turn is reasonable. on the other hand folding the flop is quite reasonable (and my standard play), and if i was going to fold i would do it there.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:43 AM

If the guy had setminer type stats ie perhaps 18/6/1 you could get away on the flop.

Once you get to the turn it's going in, he won't let the river go without getting it in, so thst street is fine. Wouldn't be surprised to see a set here though.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the guy had setminer type stats ie perhaps 18/6/1 you could get away on the flop.

Once you get to the turn it's going in, he won't let the river go without getting it in, so thst street is fine. Wouldn't be surprised to see a set here though.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya i dont hate the way i played this hand, but i do hate the thought process i had during the hand. i planned to c/f the turn unimproved for a real bet and c/r if the board paired or my hand improved. to me this plan is plain retarded.

what is your, or anyone elses plan for the turn oop if the turn is a 6, 3, or a Q???
Old 02-28-2006, 02:51 AM

What I can say is that I'm planning to c/f the turn to a real bet and I don't have at least a decent to good draw to fall back on, I'd rather just fold the flop. It's not just a min-raise villian made, he's looking to play a big pot here and I also respect a villian more who makes this pot sized flop raise (not exactly sure if it was pot sized but recall it was decent) and so I don't expect a relatively undersized turn bet. I expect the undersized turn bet from min-raising villians more.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I can say is that I'm planning to c/f the turn to a real bet and I don't have at least a decent to good draw to fall back on, I'd rather just fold the flop. It's not just a min-raise villian made, he's looking to play a big pot here and I also respect a villian more who makes this pot sized flop raise (not exactly sure if it was pot sized but recall it was decent) and so I don't expect a relatively undersized turn bet. I expect the undersized turn bet from min-raising villians more.

[/ QUOTE ]

so assuming u decided u like to be a donk like me and called the flop raise, would u block the turn unimproved or c/f?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:58 AM

This is such a dry board I don't think c/f is too bad. If it's more drawy like 2flush on flop I'd prefer to block.

I also think these TPTK hands OOP are tough.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I also think these TPTK hands OOP are tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN to that.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:28 AM

Preflop this looks good.

On the flop I would make it a full $7. You usually have the best hand here, bet it.

If you pot the flop and meet some resistance, then it can become a bit tricky.

I'm no expert or anything, but what are you trying to say when you call this raise on the flop?

If you don't improve on the turn are you just going to throw the hand away?

This is a pretty dry board. Smells like 2 pair or better. I see if I can't lead the turn here maybe for like $15. Try and see if you can get to a cheap showdown. If you meet any more resistance on the turn then drop it.