Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Default not thinking enough about small stacks?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($23.75)
MP ($10.95)
Button ($16.20)
SB ($6.90)
BB ($22.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($2.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $5.9</font>, Hero calls $3.40.

Turn: ($14.05) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($14.05) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $14.05

I think I might have played differently if I'd carefully been looking at his stack size: I might not wanted to have gone all-in, but maybe that's too nitty-think for .10/.25.

Thoughts?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: not thinking enough about small stacks?

It's certainly possible to not pay enough attention to stack sizes and do something dumb, but for a 25 BB stack I don't have a problem getting it in with TP2K.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's certainly possible to not pay enough attention to stack sizes and do something dumb, but for a 25 BB stack I don't have a problem getting it in with TP2K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But i think you are beat here, villian could also have a set here.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fine.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:03 PM

It doesn't matter if you are beat here. You only find out if you are beat once it is too late and there's nothing you can do about it.

Things that you could have done if the hand would have gone differently:

<ul type="square">[*] Had he been the raiser pre-flop you would have had to fold pre-flop[*] Had you missed this flop a cbet would have been wrong [*] Had he donked with a proper sized bet you would have had to fold[/list]
Old 08-22-2007, 07:45 PM

I think it was played perfectly against a shortstacker. You got his money in with a strong made hand, can't ask for much more. Basically if I hit the flop I'm putting them all in no matter what. And if they donk shove, a majority of the time it's two overs so I'm calling with any pocket pair or AK/AQ. The good ones usually shove any pocket pair and big ace preflop as their strategy. Occasionally they'll slow play a monster as well though. But most shortstackers aren't playing it as a strategy, they're playing it because they're broke morons. Against good shortstackers who actually have a clue you need to be a bit more careful.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:38 PM

Uhm, his stack size should make you more inclined to put money in the pot, not less. Short stacks are way more likely to suck really hard and also they are more willing to gamble on the flop with a marginal hand. KQ is close to the immortal nuts in my book here and you have the best hand like 90% of the time when the money goes in. The only teeny tiny problem is that minbet + shove more often is a good hand compared to any other line villain might take. But donīt fold ffs.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 PM

you realize short stacks will go nuts here w/ k4/a9 hands right? super standard.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:11 PM

Oh small stacks! My area of expertise. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You have to get it in here against him.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ][*] Had he donked with a proper sized bet you would have had to shove/call and get it in on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]