Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Default 5/10 Limit Omaha Aggression Question

This is somewhat long.
Background. Local/Private game spreads NL every night of week but Mondays is 5/10 Limit Omaha. Nobody there really knows how to play omaha well at all as they are all NL players. I know way more about the game then others but i am not claiming to be great at all.

Examples:
Guy check raises 7 players on board of
8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with J8 in his hand and no other draws etc..

They tend to overvalue marginal hands and are willing to call multiple bets with any 1 weak draw, such as calling 3 bets cold on a turn with only a 10 high flush draw.

Usually there are 6 people or more to a flop for 1 or 2 bets and have little clue about starting hand quality(Notion that 2 holdem hands= 1 good omaha hand). They draw to anything if they have a piece, example, they will draw with a naked 45 on a board of 67J that has 2 of a suit and all they have is the low end straight draw.

Now to my question. I obviously want to build pots with strong hands especially since they are weak players but my question is since i am up against so many people drawing every hand how soon should i start jamming with the nuts with no real other draws or when i have decent draws to the nuts?

2 examples from last night all opponents in these 2 play as described above for the most part.
I am in BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Multiple people call, i check in BB, 6 to a flop of:
K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero Bets.
UTG calls
UTG + 1 raises
2 Folds.
Btn Calls.

Hero?

Do i jam here? Wait for safe turn? I think check calling is rather weak on this flop or would you have taken that route?I have the nuts for now and only real draw out there is Spades. 3 bets will simply build the pot as all 3 players will more than likely call and so many cards on turn create even more draws. Whats your plan and why?

Turn Board is:
K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Now i have a gutshot straight draw as well, but there are 2 flush draws. Based on your flop play whats your plan and why?

i will reveal later what i did later.

hand 2.
hero is in SB with:
A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I call 3 more from the SB, BB checks and 5 see flop of:

J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I have no hand as of yet but i have NFD + Guthsot Nut Straight draw.
I bet
BB calls
UTG calls
MP2 folds
CO raises.
Hero ?

I have nothing as of yet but in a multiway pot but i have a pretty strong draw to 2 nut hands.

Should i jam here or wait until i hit it? Should i bet check calling this flop with this type of draw or be trying to build a pot?

Turn board is:
J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

now i am Double gutted to 2 Nut straight draws and have a nuf flush draw but still technically Ace high. Based on your flop play what is your turn play and why?

In both of these hands its tough to put people on a hand as they will raise with anything from 1 draw to bottom 2 pair to a set or maybe even 1 pair(remember these are holdem players). Given that their ranges are huge here how would you play similiar hands.

Sorry for lenght but thanks in advance. I also searched around a little on here and it seems like most strategy in this forum is for PLO so i'm hoping some can still offer advice.

Thanks,
Ruby
Old 08-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Limit Omaha Aggression Question

Hand 1: Of course jam.

Hand 2: Call because your hand still isn't best against a made hand and you could have other people with straight draws dominated and you want them in the pot.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:35 PM

Hand 1 jam. Hand 2 call flop raise. Check/call the turn. the weak draws wont leave for 2 bets so check raise wont help.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Limit Omaha Aggression Question *DELETED*

Post deleted by original_red
Old 08-21-2007, 11:02 PM

1# as you said, there's only 1 real draw out there.. I'd just call the flop, and c/r turn here when bets are big, if not a spade hits of course.. that way, you'll get more money in the pot with a bigger edge (generally.. that diamond was ofc no pleasent card, but you lose no more than like 3%equity waiting for the turn, with this dry texture) or.. you'll lose less if a spade hits and you don't fill up, and get a cheaper shot to make it on river (as you said, spades will tag along anyway)

2# I hate a passive play with this hand.. I'd call flop raise -reraising is close tho- , and bet out on turn aswell - the turn was a good card for you, giving you plenty of nut outs - if turn goes, b,c,c,r, you should call (perhaps) to keep the pot 4-way, since a raise might knock one or two players out (knocking someone out might also buy you outs to scoop with one of your gut shots.. strong agrument for raising instead??)..
anyways.. you have an edge, exploit it

board: JsQs6d5c

Hand - Pot equity
AsKh8d9s - 30.80%
JJ** - 44.67%
Q6** - 9.43%
9T** - 15.10%

this could be about average?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 PM

1 I would jam the flop, almost every card in the deck leaves you with the nuts on the turn and the few that don't you have a redraw. I don't see any reason to call here except "oh no they might draw out on me".

2 I think I would just call. You probably have an equity edge but you would be facing 2 players with 2 bets cold, and you probably won't clean up any outs (maybe avoid a split with AK) or bluff CO off if the other two fold. If they really won't ever fold a hand they called with, you can 3 bet.