Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Sun Tzu playing poker

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted (and played) because I'm having exams at the moment. I had some spare time and I came up with this thing. Some intresting lines to read and think about with poker in your mind.

<u>Sun Tzu playing poker with his art of war.</u>
I. Laying Plans
18. All warfare is based on deception.
19. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
20. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
21. If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him.
22. If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.

II. Waging War
5. Thus, though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays.
17. ... The captured soldiers should be kindly treated and kept.

III. Attack by Stratagem
17. Thus we may know that there are five essentials for victory: (1) He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight. (2) He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces. (3) He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks. (4) He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared. (5) He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.
18. Hence the saying: If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

IV. Tactical Dispositions
2. To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
3. Thus the good fighter is able to secure himself against defeat, but cannot make certain of defeating the enemy.
4. Hence the saying: One may know how to conquer without being able to do it.
5. ... ability to defeat the enemy means taking the offensive.
11. What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Sun Tzu playing poker

17. Thus we may know that there are five essentials for victory: (1) He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight. (2) He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces. (3) He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks. (4) He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared. (5) He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

2. To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.

These 2 have always been my favorite.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:55 PM

Poker is a battle ... for a long time I've used these tenets in my approach to the game

n1
Old 08-21-2007, 04:01 PM

Nice post noga.