Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 AM

Default Set of Aces Doubled me up....was this in played textbook fashion?

I didnt want to raise too much preflop as to scare too many people out because I did want some action. Boy, was I pleased to see everyone raising like they were. When the BB went all in post flop I put him on JJ-KK because if he would have had a set he probably would have played it differently. So I felt that I was in the lead & thought I should put all my chips in at that point.

I am glad that I won the hand but what I am more concerned with is if I played it correctly or not.....?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 7 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $9.70
BB: $4.35
Hero (UTG): $4.90
UTG+1: $7.50
MP: $9.30
CO: $6.50
BTN: $9.75

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.25</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="red">MP raises to $0.70</font>, 3 folds, BB calls $0.60, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.15</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP calls $1.45, BB calls $1.45

Flop: ($6.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets all-in for $2.20</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $2.75</font>, MP folds
Uncalled bet of $0.55 returned to Hero

Turn: ($11.15) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

River: ($11.15) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $11.15 ($1.10 Rake)

BB had J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a pair of Jacks) and LOST (-$4.35)
Hero had A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Aces) and WON (+$5.70)
Old 08-21-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Set of Aces Doubled me up....was this in played textbook fashion?

It's not a great idea to vary your raise size like that. The effect in terms of getting more players to call is pretty small. People who cold call raises come in two flavours: (1) those who are doing so correctly, with a pair for instance, and will therefore also call a larger raise in position since it is still correct, (2) people who are doing so incorrectly and will still call larger raises since they don't care what is correct and just want to play their hands. The major effect of changing your raise size for AA is to give information to thinking players about what you have. In this instance, after you raise unusually small UTG and then reraise, I would bet a large amount of money that you have AA, or some chance of KK.

Other than that looks fine.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:58 PM

This was more a case of your opponents playing badly. Those two pf calls were brutal. Who knows what MP had but BB committed himself pf. If he figured you had AK, he should have just shoved.

And again, on the flop BB is only beating AK.

Other than the comment from ChrisV, keep playing in that game, you should do well.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:00 PM

raising small UTG with AA is also horrid because it allows people to call speculatively. You'll probably be out of position the rest of the hand, so best to get it heads up or just take down the blinds -- not a bad result for UTG.

Imagine if you'd had 3 callers to that flop (the usual result at micros)instead of a raise and reraise: yuk.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Imagine if you'd had 3 callers to that flop (the usual result at micros)instead of a raise and reraise: yuk.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the only thing I was concerned about-someone outdrawing me postflop. But I was anticipating a reraise at which time I was going to shove. Fortunately things worked out the way they did.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raising small UTG with AA is also horrid because it allows people to call speculatively.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I forgot about that. You can raise small like that with AA in a game of thinking players where you are setting up in the future to do this kind of raise with 55 or 98s and not get re-raised.

However, this is not the type of game where that kind of play is not noticed. Sorry, forgot about the stakes for a momemt there, my bad.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 PM

raise to 0.40c preflop. Rebuy full....Otherwise its pretty standard...From villians perspective I rarely fold JJ to half a stack