Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 06:21 PM

Default 200PLO: Flops the nutstraight, FD on flop

I'm a little unsure about this situation. BB is an aggressive, pretty good multitabler, sometimes a bit too aggressive IMO. I think the other two players are bad/a little stationish.

What's your line on the flop?

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $217.70
UTG+1: $114.70
CO: $116.55
Button: $305.30
SB: $160.75
BB: $200

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($9, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $8</font>, Hero [insert excellent advice here]
Old 08-20-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: 200PLO: Flops the nutstraight, FD on flop

usually i just call here cause of the 2hearts, with two tens you could consider raising his 8 to like 20 however.But with Position i call and wait for the turn where i usually fire/raise him the max if its a blank/diamond or the feeling that iam still ahead.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:10 PM

I like raising this hand preflop here. As played on the turn, put out a raise and value bet blank turns if he checks.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 PM

Yeah, you should be raising this preflop, even UTG as in addition to having a really solid overall hand, you also have flush draws that you'd like to clean up by knocking some players out.

Postflop, I think your best line is to call the flop and raise the turn if he's really as aggressive as you say he is. He's not going to have another T9 very often with you having both tens, but if he's got something like top set or two pair + FD, it benefits you to make the pot large and see a safe turn before making your big raise.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:32 PM

So we are calling here even though 2 players behind us are still left to act?

Buzz

edit/ps I'm a different Buzz
Old 08-20-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like raising this hand preflop here. As played, on the flop , put out a raise and value bet blank turns if he checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: I like raising about a 2/3 psr here, not flat calling the flop. I'm not worried about getting it in on the flop, which I don't see happening anyway, but I want a larger pot to bet at on the turn/river to give bad implied odds for anything chasing...also in the event we're up against a smaller straight, I don't want one of 18 or so scare cards to peel off and kill our action.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:22 AM

Do you really think a good player's giving us action here with naked 95? Especially with how deep we are, I think he'd have to fold that to a flop raise. I think that almost without exception, we get the most money by waiting for the turn here.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:41 AM

Yes, I think he would give us action here with 95. We're not deep stacked either. I would love to take this turn in position by raising this flop more than I would to just call and risk taking it 3+way and having to be OOP.

We protect our hand and we charge both players behind us extra to play the rest of the hand in position AND if they fold we get to go into the turn with control of the pot and a larger pot where we can control how much money goes in on the turn and how much is left in our stacks.

I really don't like a repot here though and I think thats an important part of this line. I don't want to take down the pot here, I want to raise it knowing that I can shutdown/fold to bad turn cards but value bet blank cards and get more value on the turn and river by reraising this flop...if that makes sense.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 AM

i like sc00t advice, reraise flop
and then break your hand on a flush turn and his PSB [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 02:25 AM

Well, I guess I should have said "especially in an unraised pot" instead of "especially since we're so deep here", but what I meant is that BB would have to be a pretty/loose bad player to try calling down a raise with a non-nut straight when effective stacks are more than 20x the pot. This description: [ QUOTE ]
BB is an aggressive, pretty good multitabler, sometimes a bit too aggressive IMO.

[/ QUOTE ] leads me to believe that's not the case. That description sounds a lot like me actually and I wouldn't even consider calling if repopped here. The fact that this is a multiway pot makes it even less likely.

If it wasn't for the part of the description that BB is very aggressive, then I'd be more inclined to agree with a raise as we don't want BB to check the turn and keep the pot small. However, with the description given, I think the only times we won't see a turn bet are when a scare card comes that missed villain. This allows us to use our position (and we do have position on the bettor which is probably most important at this point) to help figure out the best course of action, while still getting the most money in possible when we hit our best turn cards and have no worry about which read to make.

Against a terrible calling station, sure raise to get value from 95 and against a player who's scared to show continued aggression, raise to take control of the hand. Against a good player who's only weakness is being too aggressive, however? Waiting for the turn is superior in pretty much every instance.