Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Need help with bankroll management.

Two times this has happened now. I am not bad at ALL. I have rolled up 16k from 50 dollars a year and a half ago. After three days I went bust. And then just recently I rolled up 1k with 10 dollars. Again, went bust. I was playing where I shouldn't have been both times and I know this but it is hard to fight the urge to player low. Is there anything I could do to help me build patience? I want to get a bankroll were I can play 10/20 or 15/30 without having to worry.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Need help with bankroll management.

You'll have to learn discipline. Don't play in games you are not rolled for. That's all.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:42 PM

Depends a lot on your style of play how well you need to be rolled. If you play good, tight and never tilt then 20 buyins per level is fine. So $16k allows you to play 3/6. I would personally go for a 30 buyin rule so $16k is still only enough for 2/4.

I know it takes disipline to potentially play 20K hands+ at each level without moving up but if that is what it takes.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Idn if ur talking No limit or limit.

300 x the big bet for Limit / $9,000 for 15/30 Fixed
20 x the buy-in for No Limit / $60,000 for 15/30 NL

Do u expect to be able to run $20 up again? GL...
If u deposit $50, You are rolled for the penny tables.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:19 PM

I did it two days ago and then just lost it all. I played to long I believe. Anyways I feel I can do it again, but I just want to keep going up and have problems staying where I actually make the money at. It's so irritating but when I have it, it seems like I don't care.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:20 PM

Was talking about limit.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 PM

Only thing you can really do is force yourself to be patient and only play the stakes you're rolled for. But you built yourself up twice in the past so you should be able to do it again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] GL
Old 08-20-2007, 09:33 PM

People will incorrectly jump in to give you their favorite rules of thumb. This is bad advice, in part because you haven't shown that you are a winning player at $15-$30.

Online $15-$30 is much, much tougher than live games of similar stakes. In fact, since the win rates of experts are lower in mid stakes games, the guidelines people are giving you are dangerously wrong, even for solid winners.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not bad at ALL.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but self-evaluation like this is not reliable. Your question in the Poker Theory forum suggests that you need to learn the basics, not jump into a tough game with a bunch of professional players.

Bankroll managment is for winning players. A bankroll does not give you the skills to win.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 PM

Bankroll managment is for winning players. A bankroll does not give you the skills to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread this several times. Many of my buddies ask me 'what my secret is'. I say bankroll management and patience. However, I think bankroll management is the least important 'secret'.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 AM

NO MATTER WHAT, if you aren't rolled for the limits your playing for, eventually variance will kick in and you will lose it all. You can't be successful if you don't roll yourself properly.

20 BI MINIMUM, I generally want more than that but thats cause I'm a nit [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]