Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Please help the Noob.

Well I got sick of Hold Em' and discovered the wonderful world of Stud and all it's variants. I haven't played that long but I've read and re-read SS2, Roy West's 7Stud book and the Full Tilt Tournament sections. I plan on playing a lot of Stud now and I was hoping to get a hand analyzed.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.60 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (7.60 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (11.60 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds

Total pot: (17.60 BB - $8.80)

How would you any of you played this? Was I too passive or not aggressive enough? I look forward to your comments.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Please help the Noob.

3rd street: FOLD. a small pair with a Q kicker is as automatic a fold as there is in stud/8.

As played on 3rd, I think you pplayed the rest of the hand semi OK, except I'd have check-called 4th and the river.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:15 PM

Your hand is complete garbage until 5th street. 5th and 6th are good. Check-call the river.

SS2's section on stud/8 is good but I also suggest getting Ray Zee's book if you plan on playing it a lot.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 AM

Get Ray Zee's book, and you might want to re-read SS2 again. Third is a ridiculously easy fold. Check and fold fourth as well. The rest is fine.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:29 AM

fold fourth, check fold 5th...check call 7th
Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 AM

fold 3rd.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:43 PM

This is 25/50c. People call with anything at this level. Even if everyone else tells you to fold this hand, I would call and pay until the fifth to see what comes out of it.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:10 PM

Raise 3rd. The 4 hasn't shown strenght and your Q, while dead, covers the next player's up-card. I don't see a reason to bet 7th. A player can;t call unless they beat Kings, and if they beat Kings, in this hand, they also beat Kings up.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM

Really, the only players lef tin the hand are a) a 4 b) the bring in with a 2, and c) a dead Q
Old 08-21-2007, 06:42 PM

I'm a complete moron, pelase ignore everything I said in this hand. I was reading it as if it was Stud High only