Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 AM

Default The epic saga of my couches (long with cliff notes)

Cliff notes at the bottom.

I bought a recliner couch/loveseat/chair a couple weeks ago (looks very similar to this new couches)

and had to get rid of my old, non-reclining couch/loveseat/chair. The new furniture would arrive in two weeks. I considered using Craig's list to make some money on the old furnture, but was concerned about the amount of time it would take to get rid of the couches (I had never used Craig's list before). A thread was created about this two weeks ago.

old thread

It was suggested in the thread that I should include pictures of the old furniture so it would sell faster. Unfortunately, my gf lost the battery charger to her digital camera and I couldn't take pictures of the furniture. Time was running out so I decided to donate the old furniture to the Salvation Army (S.A.). At least the old furniture would definitely be gone when the new furniture arrived. The new furniture would arrive on Thursday and S.A. would come by on Tuesday. (I could have put the furniture in the garage while waiting for my furniture to sell on Craig's list, but that would require bothering a friend and me not being able to use my carhole for my car.)

Tuesday rolls around and the S.A. truck pulls up with two men, one older man (OM) who appears to be in his mid 50s and has hands that look like he's been doing hard labor his whole life, and a young man (YM) who is built like an ox (would make a good football player). They come up to my second floor apartment and immediately the OM looks frustrated. He says that (for insurance reasons) they can't take my furniture from my second floor apartment because (1) the YM is not allowed to take bring furniture down a flight of stairs and (2) the OM is not allowed to bring furniture out a building, period.

First of all... when I called the S.A. they never asked about the floor of my apartment and never said I would have to help get the furniture out of the apartment.

Secondly... WTF?!?! What if I was living on the first floor but was incapable of helping the YM take the furniture of the apartment? Would the OM not be able to help?

But it gets better...

The OM says that he would be willing to take the furniture, even though it is a bit different. "What are these patterns on the furniture? Japanese? What is this, some Hindu sh*t?" The YM gives me a look that clearly indicates he is uncomfortable with this guy. Here is what my old furniture looked like:

The OM says he could return later that day and take the furniture if I can get it to the curb. I told him I wasn't sure if I could get a friend to come over midday at short notice to help. He then tells me, "Just go get a Mexican from over there to help you" and makes a general sweeping motion to a nearby supermarket. WTF?!?! (and no, there aren't any day laborers hanging out in the supermarket shopping center).

So screw S.A. I got a friend to help carry the furniture to my garage and put an ad on Craig's list. I didn't care if my garage would be occupied for a couple weeks. The furniture recently sold for $150 and I found out that the furniture will be in a photoshoot for a new magazine.

Cliff notes: New couches, OOT helps me get $150 and Salvation Army is racist?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: The epic saga of my couches (long with cliff notes)

I forgot to say thank you to OOT for their help in getting rid of my couches (and getting some $$ too).
Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM

I read the whole thing and yet, I feel unfulfilled.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Yawn. Great 'saga', btw.

Good call ditching the other furniture, though. That couch set is so fugly.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yawn. Great 'saga', btw.

Good call ditching the other furniture, though. That couch set is so fugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

To each his own. I thought that the furniture was pretty nice looking and went well with my coffee table. It was wearing out though and wasn't as comfortable as recliner couches.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read the whole thing and yet, I feel unfulfilled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just how I felt after watching Lord of the Rings.

The semi-racist S.A. driver didn't fill your soul with meaning?