Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Theory Post:: Post our leaks between money bubble / final table

As I am finding improvements in my play, I have noticed that I'm making it close to several final tables a bunch. My biggest leak in this stage (maybe in the entirety of a tournament) is finding just the right amount of Open raise percentages in order to optimize chip accumulation.

I'm usually at the chip average or just above it when I'm near the final table. One thing I know is getting me is that there is usually 3 or four players with four times my stack at the top of the leader board...I try to catch up to them too quickly by raising marginal hands from MP. Also, in these $20 tourneys, there aren't a lot of three bet options available because a lot of LP players are sucky nits, so if you want to keep moving up the ranks, open raising becomes mandatory.

So, I'm opening it to discussion - in a rock garden, assuming all stacks range between 40% to 100+% of your stack, how do you apply the optimal amount of aggression?

Barry
Old 08-19-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Theory Post:: Post our leaks between money bubble / final table

One thing I take into consideration before raising is what hands I have shown down recently. If I just raised junk and got into a showdown with a shortstack, I'll lean towards being tighter with my opening range. And vice versa if I have shown down a few premium hands recently.
Obv there's a ton more to it than that, but it's a start...
Old 08-19-2007, 10:01 PM

Thanks - also, I think this thread would be good to post examples of hands in these situations - we all know if you raise with xx and you get RRed by that one stack you hate to get RRed by, you have to call. Sometimes, it is what it is. Other times, I feel, I can avoid it. So, anyone who wants to put up examples, feel free.

Sorry for the bump, just figured I'd add a little more about what I'm looking for.

Barry
Old 08-19-2007, 10:38 PM

Usually the players left around are so much better and stacks are not big enough to manuever too much. But I have seen guys accumulate by moving to a 40/5 type of style. Essentially manipulating the pot by keeping it small preflop; also very few players are deep enough to overlimp so a lot of times it's folded through to the blinds.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:03 AM

Constantly be on the look-out for profitable resteal spots. Also be aware of what players are restealing more frequently so you can adjust your calling/4betting range vs those players.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:26 AM

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think people play too loose and agressive at this stage in the tournament.

At this stage, most people think they know what they are doing, they've read a few books that tell them they need to be agressive and open up alot, but i think they go too far, and wind up making big mistakes, playing big pots with small hands. The best way to profit from this is to do the opposite of what every one else is doing and stay relatively tight, especially in EP and MP.

That said I wil c-bet a lot, or bluff if I detect weakness, but as I useually have a decent hand to start with, I'm never in too bad a shape if I do get called. I'll also try and steal the blinds ocassionaly in late position, but probably less than most. You have to let some oppurtunities pass you by or else your going to get re-stolen from a lot.

I just think that because people are being too agressive, there's scope for a few players to be very profitable by going against the crowd and playing tighter.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:08 AM

Most players at this stage are just playing their cards. You can't resteal from these guys. If they have a hand good enough to raise, they're probably calling a reraise.

It's very important, however, to notice who is not just playing their cards. If some guy raises every time it's folded to him in LP, that is the guy you want to resteal from. Sometimes he actually has a hand, but he usually can't call.

It's also important to be the guy not just playing his cards. Play the situation. If the players left to act are unlikely to cold-call and aren't so short that you'd be priced in to call their shoves, your cards are almost irrelevant. J7o is as good as 33, because you aren't going allin with either.

The cards only really get important if you're so short that you have to open-shove or if your opponents are so short that your raise commits you to the pot. Then you need to stop raising trash. Until then, look for profitable raising situations and don't wait for the cards (cause they may not be coming).

Also, If I shove from the Button, fold. I always have a premium hand and you never want to get mixed up with me.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:35 PM

getting stuck in 30/25 is by far my biggest leak. no examples right now but ill keep an eye out for em
Old 08-20-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
getting stuck in 30/25 is by far my biggest leak. no examples right now but ill keep an eye out for em

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to be dense, but I don't know what "getting stuck in 30/25" means. Could you elaborate a little, even if you cannot find specific examples?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I have seen guys accumulate by moving to a 40/5 type of style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you please explain what a "40/5 type of style" is?