Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 05:13 PM

Default kinda unhealthy (6 week restart log)

Okay so I figured if I made a log like this that it would help me stay consistent. So here goes nothin.

<u>Stats</u>
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 285 lbs

I grew up as a fat kid. Lost the weight in the last two years of high school. During college my progress went up and down depending on how severe my depression/alcoholism was at the time. Usually I'd gain a bunch of weight from doing drugs and drinking all the time, then spend a couple months sober working to lose it. About two years ago my depression reached it's worst and I quit working out and eating right entirely. In those two years I was drinking almost every night (roughly 10-12 drinks a night) and abusing drugs most of the days. Being inebriated all the time made it hard to eat healthy as I never felt like cooking, so fast food and delivery became my normal food intake. In these two years I have gained over 100lbs and lost just about all of my muscle.

<u>Goals</u>
1) Start eating right
2) Start doing cardio
3) Start lifting weights

I'm taking a trip to San Francisco in October and I think if I lost some weight and improved my health I would have a better time. I'm not concerned about losing X pounds, but I will be trying to lose as much as I can. Right now I just want to start making the effort.

<u>Diet</u>
&lt; 2000 calories a day. 5-6 meals a day. Very strict on food quality (no fast/junk food).
50%/30%/20% protein/carb/fat ratio
1.5+ gallons of water a day (important for my thermogenic)

<u>Supplements</u>
Multi-Vitamin
R-ALA w/ Biotin
Taurine to supplement my...
Thermogenic
Optimum Nutrion Protein Powder (standard)

<u>Exercise</u>
Cardio: 45 minutes daily first thing in the morning on an empty stomach @ 65-70% of my max heart rate
Weights: custom 5x5 routine using the equipment available to me three days a week.

Right now the cardio is more important to me than the weights. I'm not going to be able to do my old workout routine right now, so I am going to do what I can with what I have. Right now I just want to be doing something, regardless if it's not the most optimal lifting I could be doing.

Six week span starting tomorrow. I will miss you, whiskey.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Re: kinda unhealthy (6 week restart log)

A&gt; deal with your depression: Shrink, talk thearopy
B/ Stop doing drugs entirely
C/ Squats deadlifts bench military press, cardio
D/ learn to eat right, ie take a class at your community college like human nurtition and health.
E/ know that trying to do all of these at once is impossible, take it one step at a time.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 AM

'preciate that aroddolla. Thankfully most of these issues have been taken care of already.

The depression had gone away after a while and turned into apathy/numbness after abusing substances for so long. I think the hardest part of this is going to be sticking with it considering there is no reward unless I go the distance. The past two years of my life have been based on instant gratification, so it will definitely be a challenge.

Drugs haven't been a problem for a good while, but the drinking never went away since I had become dependent on it to fall asleep (I've had insomnia most of my life, even before I started drinking). Good thing drinking isn't part of my diet plan now.

The lifting and nutrition is all in check because I was really into all of that back when I was healthy. &lt;3 deadlifts.

<u>Day 1 Update</u>
If I wasn't so angry, I'd probably have to laugh at my situation. Last night I rolled my ankle while trying to retrieve my puppy from my neighbor's yard when I stepped onto an uneven piece of grass/dirt that I failed to notice because it was so dark outside. Thought it wasn't so bad but woke up multiple times during the night from the pain. I got it checked out earlier this morning and now I am sporting a slick pair of crutches. Said it was just a severe sprain and I should be fine in 1-2 weeks, but I had the same injury a couple years ago and was fine in like 4 days. Hoping for another speedy recovery.

Still plan on starting the diet today though. Breakfast: Oatmeal, skim milk, and protein powder yum.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

<u>Exercise</u>
Cardio: 45 minutes daily first thing in the morning on an empty stomach @ 65-70% of my max heart rate
Weights: custom 5x5 routine using the equipment available to me three days a week.

Right now the cardio is more important to me than the weights. I'm not going to be able to do my old workout routine right now, so I am going to do what I can with what I have. Right now I just want to be doing something, regardless if it's not the most optimal lifting I could be doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started exercising 25 years ago. Only ran, nothing else.
Started running less than 10 minutes a day for the first
week. Ran 6 days and took the 7th day off. Worked up to 40 miles/week in 4 to 5 months.
In the first year I eat 5000 calories a day. Lost 15 pounds
that year. Was always hungry.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:23 PM

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but here is my view on breakfast and it works.

EAT a much BIGGER breakfast comapred to the rest of your meals. That is the single concept that turned my eating progress in the right direction.

Just a helpful tip. GL in your plan
Old 08-20-2007, 06:49 PM

That's a good idea. I noticed that by the end of the day my carb intake wasn't as high as I'd like. If I eat more for breakfast it should be enough to put me where I need to be. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:22 PM

My ankle is doing much better today (although it could be the hydrocodone they prescribed, but I am going to be optimistic). I am hoping it will be well enough tomorrow to do some cardio (exercise bike) in the morning. I really want to get going because I'm waiting to take my thermogenic until I am exercising. So if all goes well, my 6 week program will start tomorrow.

Getting back to eating right seems to be going well though.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:14 PM

Hi. My name is kinda. I'm an addict. I managed to spend 2 days sober then I fell off the wagon. A friend came into town with some very bads drugs I hadn't touched in a long time. Knowing I had a chance to do these drugs without getting hooked on a long term scale (I have nowhere to buy drugs unless someone comes by like this) I over-indulged and then fell back into my normal routine. The drugs led me back to the alcohol abuse, and now I'm back into my bad habits I can't seem to get rid of.

Also, my trip to SF is no longer going to happen, thus I have no reason to get healthy (the trip was my sole motivation).

So now I'm stuck in a hard place where I know I need to make some changes, but they just don't seem worth it to me when I can spend every night getting trashed out of my mind (mmm instant gratification). I hope one day I can restart this log in a serious way.