Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 10:36 AM

Default seattle @ pittsburgh NFL,,,stay near the bars?

Hey guys, need some help. There may be about ten or twelve of a group of us going to Pittsurgh to see the Seattle/Steelers game in october. I know Heinz field is like 8 miles away so we don't want to stay near there. We would like to stay intown/donwtown , near the bars and other fun things to do while visiting.

Can anyone give me an idea 1) which bars to hit up when we get there. Will be arriving friday and leaving monday morning. (We are also not all steelers or seahawks fans;maybe one pitt fan and bunch of pats, cowboys, k.c. fans. We just make a trip every year to a different stadium.)

and...2) Where is a decent priced with enough quality hotel to stay at so we are in basically walking distance to said bars.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: seattle @ pittsburgh NFL,,,stay near the bars?

[ QUOTE ]
I know Heinz field is like 8 miles away so we don't want to stay near there. We would like to stay intown/donwtown

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2007, 02:30 PM

The two main places with bars are the strip district and Southside. Of the two I would suggest South Side over the Strip but it depends on your group. South Side is more bars while the Strip is more like clubs. That might not be perfectly accurate but it's fairly close. Both are a good time in any case.

For hotels I'm not really sure. Pittsburgh is sort of a weird city in that a lot of normal chains aren't really here, or in big numbers. This includes hotel and motel chains, though there is a Hilton downtown. Never stayed anywhere other than a hotel in Oakland (which also has decent bars btw but is basically all college students as that neighborhood has both Pitt and CMU). I actually don't know of any hotels in the Strip district or the Southside. I think there may be one somewhere on Mount Washington, which must have amazing views.

edit: also I would have suggested a bucs game as PNC park is incredible (you can see it in the image near Heinz Field) but you said October.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:27 PM

If you want to be close to the Southside I'd suggest the Mariott on 10th st, or maybe it's 10th ave. It's across the river from the southside, but it's a short walk

Edit, looks like it's a Holiday Inn Express and looks like it is on the Southside side of the river

20 S 10th St, Pittsburgh PA
(412) 488-1130
Old 08-19-2007, 06:28 PM

PNC Park sucks. If you go it will rain and your team will give up 7 runs in the seventh inning [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PNC Park sucks. If you go it will rain and your team will give up 7 runs in the seventh inning [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Its better than paying double the amount to see them do the same thing at home.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:42 PM

Eh, I paid $20 for crap seats in the Pirates Cove today, which is deep right field in foul territory in the second level. Had a rail blocking home plate so we had to lean forward to see each at bat (moved after second inning), and the most obnoxious Philly fans right next to us that thankfully got kicked out (I am a Philly fan)
Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 PM

Also, this stupid whore with a manvoice is the reason the Phils lost. As they got kicked out in the 6th she declared it didn't matter because the Pirates couldn't come back from 4 runs out. Thanks for the hex [censored]!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:15 AM

We lucked into a great hotel last year on an East Coast baseball road trip. It was called the Spring Hill Suites, I'm pretty sure. Right next to the stadiums, easy walking distance to downtown (like the overhead pic shows, it's not that far), huge rooms, etc.

Got it for like $95 through hotwire, and it was easily the best hotel we stayed at in the 5 cities we went to. It's probably pricey or sold out way in advance for Steeler weekends (though I would think they'd probably all be), but you couldn't pick a better spot if you're seeing a game.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:39 AM

thanx all for the help; much appreciated. We're definitely not a clubbin type group so, ya, thanx for the info Jared, we'll definitely be going to the southside.
Spellman, thanx for the contact number. We'll be checking that out for sure. And you too legend, I'll make sure and check out that hotel too.

I so would have wanted to take in a game or two at PNC. too bad they'll be out of season. I wish they build something similar in boston but I think we're stuck with fenway for awhile.