Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 12:18 PM

Default 16- JJ UTG

Here is a situation I have been pondering lately. 10/20 level , no reads and 1500 effective stacks for all 9 players. Hero is UTG with JJ. Hero limps. MP1 limps, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, Button raises to 180. BB calls. Pot is now 450.

Now lets look at our options.

Call- Bad. Most of the time there will be at least 1 overcard on the flop and we will have 2nd pair in a multiway pot. Even if we flop an overpair, we may still lose to a better overpair or get outdrawn. We are calling off >10% of our stack so flopping a set is not going to be profitable unless we know both the BB and button will definitely pay us off.

Shove- This used to be my default play. We are only an underdog to 3 hands, and there is a lot of dead money in the pot. However when we are called, it is almost certainly a coin flip or we are dominated. I dont see TT or AJ calling this too often, though it does happen.

Fold- This is what I've used lately. It seems like I'm leaving a lot on the table though when I am most likely the favorite. The pros are that we lose little money and are still in the tournament.

Thoughts??
Old 08-18-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: 16- JJ UTG

im pretty unattached to JJ early on tbh
Old 08-18-2007, 12:54 PM

Its a passive way to play JJ UTG.i dont like that play much but if u do make that play u should continue with the play and push all in and play it like AA.I would much rather a raise between 4 and 6 times the BB with jacks UTG.By just limping you put yourself in a though spot.The button could be maken a move for the pot but because u didnt raise u dont know where u are.Im not sure about folding either u do have a big pair after all,i would still see aflop here and go from there if u rather not go all in
Old 08-18-2007, 02:12 PM

You should be raising JJ UTG in level 1.

With a limp I probably shove, calling sucks because you either need a set or a low flop which doesn't happen a fairly large percent of the time and you dominate almost everyones raising range anyway unless they are a regular.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:22 PM

I call the raise and play postflop poker. That's why I limp so I don't get repopped and have to fold pf. Over a small sample size I'm crushing by limping with JJ. However, I'm open to maybe start raising with it oop.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Looks like a good spot to squeeze.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:54 PM

Depends on who the button raiser is.
Against a regular I'm folding, against a random I'm probably calling and leading out on any flop.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:02 AM

70/30