Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Poker and IQ ratings

So I'm looking for a job, and I go to an interview where I take several different tests. One is an Apptitude test (IQ test) and I score 130. What, if any, does this mean for anyone that plays poker? Should they be a winner, break even, or a losing player? Or, an IQ test doesn't indicate anything when it comes to poker.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Poker and IQ ratings

i find it hard to believe that you scored a 130 and misspelled aptitude. j/k. in all seriousness idk how much it means. that's certainly a nice score but it doesn't make you predisposed to be a good poker player.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:56 PM

what was the point of...

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm looking for a job, and I go to an interview where I take several different tests. One is an Apptitude test (IQ test) and I score 130.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously there will be a correlation between IQ and poker ability, albeit not necessarily a strong one.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:12 PM

Because IQ is a gauge for someones thinking ability. Since poker is a thinking game, if people with IQ's @ or around 130 are crushing the game, then I should too. Just asking if there is any correlation to this or not.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because IQ is a gauge for someones thinking ability. Since poker is a thinking game, if people with IQ's @ or around 130 are crushing the game, then I should too. Just asking if there is any correlation to this or not.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess, you lose at poker and think you should win since you're smarter than every one?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess, you lose at poker and think you should win since you're smarter than every one?

[/ QUOTE ]

A typical 2+2 repsonse.

I do just fine at playing poker. It was a questions since I never knew what my IQ was before.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:20 PM

IQ tests measure how good you are at doing IQ tests.

Obv intelligence comes into it as well, but these tests require logic/common sense so in general the more you practise the better you get.

You could have an IQ a tree and be a poker god, or IQ of 150+ and shove pf with 23o, there isn't really a correlation imo.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

130 is good but it's not that high
Old 08-17-2007, 06:43 PM

A high IQ doesn't mean you should be good at poker, since a lot of skill in poker comes with experience and studying hard.

Also, simple things like calculating odds and outs will generally be done faster by people with high IQ's, but if your IQ is high you are not necessarily fast at calculating.

A higher IQ generally means you pick up things faster, so you could get good at poker faster than someone with a low IQ. That's the only real correlation I can find.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
130 is good but it's not that high

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? IF this were an accurate IQ test and I'm not saying that it is, but IF it were, 130 is 98%. That means you have a higher IQ than 98% of the total population that has ever taken the IQ test. When would it be high enough for you, huh?

But:
In the last few years it has been proven that IQ tests have been skewed to the right. The "Center" seems not to be 100 anymore, but more like 110. In that case, 130 OP would stand as above average at 90 percentile.
Makes people feel good. Just like ladies pants sizes have gone down. I have not lost any weight, but suddenly I fit 8 size pants, whereas I used to be 10...
Everybody's a winner YAY!

... except in poker
Closed Thread