Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 01:49 PM

Default movin\' on up

Hey all, I'm working on making the move from online fr 3/6 up to 5/10 and could use some advice from anyone who's made this move before. I've been beating 2/4 and 3/6 at just over 1bb/100 hands for the last 100K hands (2/4 at about 1.6 and 3/6 at about .8) and even better than that over the last 40K. I've taken shots at 5/10 before and haven't done great but this time i'm going to make it happen.

Anyway, the game seems to be much more aggressive and reminds me more of 6-max play. Would you say this is true? Do you think I would be better served by developing a solid 6-max game at a lower level before I move up? Or is it pretty much the same as fr 3/6 and I'm just imagining things?

Finally, how long should I give myself to beat 5/10? For as long as my br can stand it? So far i've needed to keep winning at 2/4 and 3/6 to make up for my small losses at 5/10. Is this pretty standard at first?

Thanks for your help guys. I've been playing 3/6 for so long I honestly don't remember what it is like to move up. I just need a little help on the phsycological aspects of things. I'd appreciate any other words of advice that you have, or maybe links to related threads. It just feels like a big move up and i'd rather make this post now than after i've blown most of my roll, thanks.

numbnuts007
Old 08-17-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: movin\' on up

I have not taken a shot at 5/10 but I can tell you that playing 6-max can do nothing but help improve your game. You will surely learn how to deal with aggressive players. Drop down a level or two until you are comfortable with the style of play and buy Stox's book.

Edit: spelling
Old 08-17-2007, 04:02 PM

I'd play the 2/4 and 3/6 6-max tables before you take shots at 5/10, unless you are not $$-sensitive, in which case stakes don't matter. But you will find 6-max to be a much different game and takes some time to adjust. Takes quite a bit of time actually.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 PM

Good advice guys, thanks.

Is the consensus that 5/10 is a significantly more difficult game? Is that why you suggest getting comfortable with 6-max first? Or is it just for the general improvement of my poker game?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:21 PM

5/10 sometimes seems easier than 3/6, especially at stars. More gamblers.

Other than that, ask Curtis Mayfield.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:23 PM

Hush now child,
and don't you cry
Your folks might understand you
by and by
Move on up
towards your destination
You may find
from time to time
Complications

Bight your lip
and take a trip
Though there may be
wet road ahead
You cannot slip
So move on up
and peace you will find
Into the steeple
of beautiful people
Where there's only one kind

So hush now child
and don't you cry
Your folks might understand you
by and by
Just move on up
and keep on wishing
Remember your dreams
are your only schemes
So keep on pushing
Take nothing less -
not even second best
And do not obey -
you must have your say
You can past the test

Move on up!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:57 PM

Wow Badger, wow. That's a wondeeful and appropriate little ditty for my situation. I was dying laughing reading it, i thought you had written it yourself, then a google search helped me understand the curtis mayfield reference. Great find, thanks. i'll have to dig up an mp3 of the song.

Anyway, i think i'm going to work on my 6-max game for a while. I've been meaning to pick it up anyway and this seems like a good oportunity. It won't put as much stress on my bank roll and I think it should be a big help in the long run. Do any of you find it difficult to move back and forth between 6-max and full ring?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow Badger, wow. That's a wondeeful and appropriate little ditty for my situation. I was dying laughing reading it, i thought you had written it yourself, then a google search helped me understand the curtis mayfield reference. Great find, thanks. i'll have to dig up an mp3 of the song.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, no I didn't write it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I do have good relational memory, but unfortunately I'm a very poor song writer. This song is used in the movie "Bend it like Beckham". It's about an Indian girl from a somewhat traditional family wanting to play soccer in England. I liked the movie because my girlfriend is Indian, and I also liked that song in the movie. I just remembered it when you posted "movin' on up".
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, i think i'm going to work on my 6-max game for a while. I've been meaning to pick it up anyway and this seems like a good oportunity. It won't put as much stress on my bank roll and I think it should be a big help in the long run. Do any of you find it difficult to move back and forth between 6-max and full ring?

[/ QUOTE ]
I always feel delighted when I can move back to full ring after blowing my money on 6max.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 PM

Old thread on this topic

-McGee
Old 08-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Woh, I posted in an Old Thread [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'm maturing as a 2p2-er [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]