Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 AM

Default Is this a leak?

Early on in these I tend to check reraise all in with draws like this, sure sometimes I have fold equity but a lot of the times not.

Is this play ok?

Also lets say its the 2h not the 9h, is it still ok?

Full Tilt Poker Game #3278763645: $5 + $0.50 Tournament (24536384), Table 23 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 9:06:16 ET - 2007/08/17
DJR98 sits down
DJR98 adds 1,500
Seat 1: iwinz (1,395)
Seat 2: Whats Luck (1,500)
Seat 3: dollaknolla (940)
Seat 4: and2step (1,455)
Seat 6: caniac06 (2,850)
Seat 7: qizwiz (3,615)
Seat 8: mzbuns (1,500)
Seat 9: Scadmart (1,545)
qizwiz posts the small blind of 15
mzbuns posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Scadmart [Ah Qh]
Scadmart raises to 90
iwinz folds
Whats Luck folds
dollaknolla folds
iwinz: nice flop
and2step calls 90
dollaknolla: mhm
caniac06 calls 90
qizwiz folds
mzbuns folds
*** FLOP *** [9h Tc Jh]
Scadmart checks
dollaknolla: mad river
caniac06: cant beleive he didn't rasie
and2step has 15 seconds left to act
and2step bets 210
caniac06: nh
caniac06 has 15 seconds left to act
caniac06 folds
Scadmart raises to 1,455, and is all in
dollaknolla: u2 ....u2
and2step has 15 seconds left to act
and2step has requested TIME
and2step calls 1,155, and is all in
Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Is this a leak?

If you always play drawing hands like this it's a leak, beacuse you're easy to read. Why don't you bet out instead? People expect you to contination bet, so just go ahead and do it. If you held say KK instead you would've bet out, right? Make it look like you have an overpair and don't worry about having to call an all-in, cause with flush draw, straight draw and overcards, we're not folding here. And, yes, I'd take the same aggressive line if the 9h was 2h instead.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:52 AM

I mix it up occaisonally, usually take this route v aggressive opponents but this is my preferred way of playing
Old 08-17-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mix it up occaisonally, usually take this route v aggressive opponents but this is my preferred way of playing

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the poster who says bet out on the flop. There isn't anything wrong with taking this hand down now. The worst case scenario is villian flat calls your cont-bet and none of your draws come in on the turn. But I much prefer that to checking the flop and having villian check behind. If you lead out and get raised you'll obviously push.

My first inclination was I don't play it the same if it is a 2h instead of a 9h, but I reconsidered and would. Here's why.

In both hands you've got 9 outs to the nut flush and 3 more outs to the nut straight for 12 clean outs. You've got some other potential outs (3 eights, 3 queens, 3 aces) although these need to be discounted some. Even if you discount them you've got at least 15 outs to a winner and with 2 cards to come you're favored to hit.

Changing the 9h to the 2h still gives you 9 outs to the nut flush. While there is some possibility that villian hit a set the more likely scenario is that you've got at least 3 and possibly 6 outs with your overcards (12-15 outs). You're still either a favorite or slight dog to hit with two cards to come. Given the money already in the pot(especially after you bet out on the flop) you would clearly have the odds to call.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:29 AM

PR,

Stacks are better set-up for a c-bet, three bet AI rather than a checkraise. Your check raise is a big overbet and therefore kinda looks like what it is.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:24 PM

I've been check/shoving draws like yours in tourneys and usually getting poor results. I agree with the above comments and think the check shove is the wrong play, easily a continuation bet.

Btw, I noticed he requested time. QK or a set obviously wouldn't wait down that long. What did he have? AJ?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:35 PM

You're a favorite against any hand range you can come up with here, and only 40/60 against a set. So please shove away.
You can't run into a bigger flush draw, or a bigger straight draw, and your overcards could be outs.

You're killing hands like AJ, and even a favorite against AA.

If the 9h is a 2h you still have the gutshot straight draw, so it doesn't change things that much.

This hand is much different than just shoving a flush draw or OESD with nothing else going for you.

Edit to say: Lead is better if you think you can get more chips / more players in the hand.
This is a great hand to play multi-way. So if a lead will get called then raised, then you shove, that's even better.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:38 PM

JARID,

The key to this hand is getting chips in the pot, not making your hand seem stronger than it is / inducing folds.

You're 62/38 against AJ. Think that calls a lot in a $5.50? I do.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 AM

lol, only 40/60 against a set. even though it's doubtful he had a set there, putting your entire tourney on the line in the beginning of a tournament as a 40/60 dog sounds pretty foolish to me.

So say he leads out on the flop and only gets called, then a blank comes on the turn. If he's up against something like AJ, AQh becomes about a 60/40 dog. do you put all your money in there also?

I've thought about this and another range could be something to the extent of KJ, QJ, or JT. QJ seems to make some sense since it gives your opponent an open ender, meaning that an 8 would tie, and a K would give AQ the nuts. KJ has the gutshot as well as top pair, so only the Ace is a winning an overcard. KJ with the king of hearts seems strong to an opponent who is unaware that he is up against the nut flush draw. Either way it removes a heart out. AQh vs KhJx is about a 58/42 fav on the flop, but a blank on the turn once again makes you a 60/40 dog.

This isn't a cash game, in a cash game I would want all my chips in the middle any way possible.

By leading out you control pot size, if you get raised, it's perfectly fine to get your chips in, but if you get called and see a blank on the turn, you can control pot size by firing a second shell, or checking and probably getting a free card. I don't agree with making plays just because a tournament is a small buy-in.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:14 AM

Stack sizes seem to make betting slightly preferable to CR

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't a cash game

[/ QUOTE ]
Jeez, why do we still get such advice based on this crap