Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 05:21 AM

Default AQ Big deision final table

My local live tournament.Im chip leader with 44,000 at the final table in the BB with AQo.7 players remain,blinds are 3000/6000.Its folded around to the button who limps in,SB folds.Button has 38,000 and is my biggest treat.Average chips about 20,000.I raise 15000 and he moves all in for 17000 more.The pot is 47000.So im getting 2.7 to 1.I have a pritty solid read on this guy and im sure he dosent have a big pair,so im getting the right odds to call.if i win i have a 4 to 1 chip lead.I call and he shows J9s.Terrible move i know!!!Anyways he wins with a straight and im crippled.i think my biggest mistake was not moving in pre flop if i knew he was weak,what do u think?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:32 AM

Default Re: AQ Big deision final table

Just push the first time around (and not because you want him to fold something like J9s). Making a standard raise when you're less than about 12BB's deep puts you in some difficult situations. As played, absolutly instacall.

In the future be sure to exclude results. We don't want to know what happened and it can only add bias to the responses we give. Don't let results affect your desisions. You will find that even when you make all the right plays you will rarely come out on top. Just post hands here when you're not sure you made the right play.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:04 AM

Undoubtedly - push in the first turn, as played call. Don´t get results-oriented. You were 60%-favourite which shows that your call was 100% correct, regarding the results.

Remember that your M (the ratio of SB+BB and your stack) was slightly above 9 (no antes? otherwise it shrinks even more). That means that albeit you´re the CL you´re in no comfortable situation. Only that your opponents should feel even less comfortable ... Doubling your stack here should have given you a reasonable chance on 1st place. So tick it off and clap on your shoulder for having made a good call. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2007, 06:33 AM

Thanks for your reply.there were no antes.I agree about the push,i realised my mistake the minute he pushed all in.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:40 AM

thanks for the welcome.i agree with everything,i realised my mistake the minute he pushed all in.i wasnt worried about the result just wanted to know if i was right about my mistake not to push.i understand what u mean about puttiing in the result and wont in future.Thank you
Old 08-17-2007, 06:44 AM

I don't think his push OTT makes your initial raise a mistake. If you think someones likley to come over the top light you should be loving it. The danger is more what happens if he flat calls and you miss the flop.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 AM

no you played the hand well got it in as a solid favorite. you told him FOLD and the moron shoved nothin u can do. take your vasoline job and move on
Old 08-17-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think his push OTT makes your initial raise a mistake. If you think someones likley to come over the top light you should be loving it. The danger is more what happens if he flat calls and you miss the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really feel that this is the actual point to shoving pf.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really feel that this is the actual point to shoving pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I know...

I was responding to OP saying

[ QUOTE ]
I agree about the push,i realised my mistake the minute he pushed all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having the guy push over you here is a result, not something to make you think you made a mistake.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 PM

Hero's M is less than 5, discounted further because there are only 7 people at the table. So much for being chip leader!

As everyone else said, push the first time around because of your strong hand and short stack. As played call the LRR.