Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 09:27 PM

Default PLO HU TRN: Line check vs. hyper-LAGtard

Reads: Villian is either passive (always calls/checks) preflop or pots preflop every hand (it's a stretch of either). Villian will also lead out at about 50% of flops for pot (unraised, he leads out about 80% of raised pots), and if called he pots turn nearly 100% of the time and pots river almost every time (he really only checks river when he has a decent hand with showdown value, things like 2 pair/raw trips/straight on 3-flush paired board).

Villian rarely respects raises and will stack off with naked overpairs most of the time.

Is this too weak of a holding to look this kind of player up or am I fine with making what would be a spewtastic calldown against almost any other player? Is a raise ever correct?

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
2 players
Converter

SB: Villian (1,780)
BB: Hero (1,220)

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB calls t10 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t30)</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t40, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets t40</font>, Hero calls t40 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t80)</font>.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t120, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t240)</font>.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t360, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets t360</font>, Hero calls t360 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t720)</font>.

Results:
Final pot: t1080
Old 08-16-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: PLO HU TRN: Line check vs. hyper-LAGtard

I wouldnt raise this guy without at least top two pair or set, but if he will bet with air, this play is fine on occasion. Is this some special HU plo tourney?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:39 AM

Ya, it's a sit and go tournament with 2 people, then run with all sorts of games, and I've taken up PLO because I'm sort of burnt out on Hold 'Em.

I know enough about PLO though to know that K4 on that board isn't a spectacular hand. I was basically planning on the turn to call a bet on any non-threatening river (not club, not ace, probably not a 2 or 3 either), or raise if I hit a K or 4.

I'm just wondering how profitable this is against a hand that's almost random (I don't expect to see AX two pair too often with this guy, I think those are one of the few hands he'll check. I think he bets a set).
Old 08-17-2007, 02:20 AM

Once you eliminate ak and a4 type hands from his range, calling down is fine because 33xx and 99xx occur much less often. Against a purely random hand you have 65% equity on the flop. Btw it looks like you have plenty of BBs in your stacks, if he is really spewy you can probably trap him when you hit set or ttp and take his stack. In PLO sngs where I have been HU versus someone who raises every preflop and bets every flop and foward, I have found that folding pf trashy hands and reraising with aaxx, kkxx, sometimes qqxx, a very effective way to deal with a spewy player. hands like jt98 and 5678 are great trapping hands on the flop.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:31 AM

bottom 2 pair sucks because it doesn't have good equity against Axxx. Unless he is literally 4 barreling any 4 cards every time, this is too spewy and you should fold turn.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless he is literally 4 barreling any 4 cards every time, this is too spewy and you should fold turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except this is actually a pretty accurate description of villian's play. It's even better too -- if he has AXXX and two pairs river he'll probably check behind river when he should bet, so a lot of hands that beat me aren't betting river.

As played, I'm really worried about 44, 33 (AA KK 99 AK all raise pf) and 35 here, maybe a weird K9. Looking beat at this I like a turn fold not because I'm beat more often than not but because I can find a much better place to stack this guy (In this game, I won with J8XX on a QT9 board and villian stacked off with naked KKXX).
Old 08-17-2007, 01:40 PM

yes if you have such a sweet read you should just call off your stack. But then you shouldn't have to ask us.