Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Dealer\'s Big Mouth Kills FT Deal

We were 5 handed at the FT with most of us evenly stacked exccept for the chip leader who had about 2x average.

I was UTG and the Blinds were about to go up, giving us only an M of 3, so I asked if anyone wanted to do a 5-way chop. I asked the TD how much 5 way split would pay and it turned out just under 2nd place money. Everyone said yes (even Big Stack) until the Dealer speaks up and says we should give a bigger cut to the Big Stack. Big Stack realizes Dealer's right and turns down the deal.

The TD was there and told the dealer not to interfere but the Dealer is an Oldtimer and doesn't see anything wrong.

There's probably nothing I can do about it but I just needed to rant. (I busted out 5th of course). [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Dealer\'s Big Mouth Kills FT Deal

The dealer was wrong obviously.

I don't even like the TD telling you how much a 5 way split would be (since answering that would suggest that a split means an equal split and an inexperienced player may be given the impression that the TD believes an equal split is standard or fair). I personally believe the TD should only tell you what the total remaining in the prize pool.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:39 PM

I can understand your frustration...

Where I usually play, Pechanga in So Cal, it is rare that a tourney goes to the end. There's eventually a chop. The TD/staff have usually have an extra column on their work-up of what an equal chop is at each remaining number of players. Of course they stress that any/all chops are the responsibility of the players.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealer is an Oldtimer and doesn't see anything wrong.
(I busted out 5th of course). [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope 5th paid. And I hope you stiffed the dealer.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand your frustration...

Where I usually play, Pechanga in So Cal, it is rare that a tourney goes to the end. There's eventually a chop. The TD/staff have usually have an extra column on their work-up of what an equal chop is at each remaining number of players. Of course they stress that any/all chops are the responsibility of the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made about 10 final tables at Pechanga over the last couple years and not 1 has been played out to the finish. It's funny because you can be middle in chips and get more money just because the old players there don't want to play anymore and will give you a better cut if you say you don't want to chop.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 PM

IMO only the td should ever have anything to say about possible deals, and even then should only interfere if:

1. The players ask for assistance

2. A blatantly unfair deal is being offered with the clear intention of taking advantage of an inexperienced player's lack of knowledge about deal making

I don't think with an M3 to M6 spread on stack sizes that this proposed deal is BLATANTLY unfair. (I assume a reasonable payout structure). The chip leader should get a little bit more, but under certain circumstances (very short levels, very nice people, relatively small money) I might even accept this deal as chip leader. Money isn't everything, after all

Therefore my conclusion is the dealer should virtually always KEEP THEIR BIG MOUTH SHUT. The only appropriate time for a dealer to have an opinion here is when they are asked because they are the authority in the room (once I was asked when the tournament director didn't know squat), or perhaps when the deal is so clearly fair and equitable that a "congratulations everyone" is in order.

Al
Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 PM

Its should be added that most dealers know they should avoid advising the players about chopping at the final table, I think its more rare than not that this is actually an issue.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its should be added that most dealers know they should avoid advising the players about chopping at the final table, I think its more rare than not that this is actually an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually its not really uncommon in many smaller tournaments. I usually don't hear them discourage a deal, but I have heard dealers suggest a chop.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I hope 5th paid. And I hope you stiffed the dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP, I'd be interested as well. So what happened?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was UTG and the Blinds were about to go up, giving us only an M of 3, so I asked if anyone wanted to do a 5-way chop. I asked the TD how much 5 way split would pay and it turned out just under 2nd place money. Everyone said yes (even Big Stack) until the Dealer speaks up and says we should give a bigger cut to the Big Stack. Big Stack realizes Dealer's right and turns down the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why didn't you just kick a little extra to the BigStack? If an even 5 way was $1000 each, give BS $1200 and give $950 to the other 4.