Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Is open pushing from SB with A7o and an M of 10 reckless?

BB had about the same stack. We were already in the money and there were 16 players left. I didn't have any read on him.

Also, if it matters, we were both above the average stack.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Is open pushing from SB with A7o and an M of 10 reckless?

no not reckless for sure, while i think with an M of 10 you can still make some sort of a standard raise - as you have have about 15 BB (if there are no antes). as i would call a push from the BB after a standard raise most of the time with A7 (except he is a very tight player) pushing is of course a playable way.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:57 PM

Normally I'd just make some sort've standard raise with an m of 10. I think shoving is unexploitably better than folding though.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:00 PM

No it is not.

A7o has a Sklansky-Chubukov number of 62.7, so as long as your stack is less than 62x as large as the small blind, it is guaranteed +EV to push allin with it.

With an M of 10, your stack is about 30x the size of the SB.

30 < 62 so go ahead and push allin.

There may, however, be better ways to play the hand. Folding is foolish in this situation.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Can you please explain the Sklansky-Chubukov number business to me? I would really love to be able to judge these situations on my own.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you please explain the Sklansky-Chubukov number business to me? I would really love to be able to judge these situations on my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I read in the book last night and I hope I get this explanation correct:

It basically states that if you turn your hand face up and that the opponent will call you with a hand that beats you (or ties you) so in this case A7o+/22+, the maximum number of BBs you can have where pushing the hand to be profitable (+EV). But since people in real life will fold hands that you lose to (22-55, A8-AT), you can shove wider than that). It also states that while shoving is +EV, it's not always the optimal play.

I really hope I got that correct.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I read in the book last night and I hope I get this explanation correct:

It basically states that if you turn your hand face up and that the opponent will call you with a hand that beats you (or ties you) so in this case A7o+/22+, the maximum number of BBs you can have where pushing the hand to be profitable (+EV). But since people in real life will fold hands that you lose to (22-55, A8-AT), you can shove wider than that). It also states that while shoving is +EV, it's not always the optimal play.

I really hope I got that correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, but to add a bit...

The reason why the S-C number is tied to the ratio of your stack size to the blinds is as follows: Knowing your hand, BB will either fold when he is behind, or call when he is ahead. As the blinds grow compared to your stack, you win more on those times when he folds. Therefore, the range at which you can profitably shove increases.