Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Default check this hand - am I a donk?

No useful reads,

Full Tilt 0.10/0.2 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">

Turn: (68 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (68 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10 (All-In)</font>, MP2 calls $5.10 (All-In), CO calls $2.35 (All-In).

Final Pot: 130.75 BB
Old 08-16-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: check this hand - am I a donk?

Need stack sizes, bet sizes and pot size.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Need stack sizes, bet sizes and pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Need stack sizes, bet sizes and pot size which apparently didn't come through because FTR's converter interpreted it as fixed-limit up to the river, whereupon it suddenly became no-limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The converter at http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter/ might work better for you. Been a while since i used it. If neither works, please edit the above to add the stacks and bet sizes.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:54 AM

Unraised pot. Flop bet OK, but i would fold in face of the flop raise against 2 players. Ace with mediocre kicker vs AT+ or 2 pairs or trips ?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:55 AM

well, I mean 3 players
Old 08-17-2007, 07:26 AM

no useful reads

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $3.95
UTG+1: $3.90
MP1: $6
MP2: $9.30
MP3: $2.80
CO: $6.55
Button: $11.70
Hero: $14.20
BB: $8.20

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls $0.1 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.15)</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.1 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.25)</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.1 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.35)</font>, Button calls $0.1 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.45)</font>, Hero calls $0.05 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.55)</font>, BB checks.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($0.6, 6 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.35</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $0.35 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.95)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to $0.7</font>, CO calls $0.7 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $2)</font>, Button folds, Hero calls $0.35 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $2.7)</font>, UTG calls $0.35 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $3.05)</font>.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($3.4, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3.4</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls $3.4 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $6.8)</font>, CO calls $3.4 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $10.2)</font>.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($13.6, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $10</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 calls all-in $5.1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO calls all-in $2.35</font>.
Uncalled bets: $4.9 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $23.4
Old 08-17-2007, 08:51 AM

Hmm, just minimum raise, low stakes, many donks around there, The turn looks fine, only hand i am scared of are trips 3's.

River doesn't look scary either. Well maybe someone with AT here.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:55 AM

A 10 looks like the best probability or AK maybe.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:55 AM

Let's start at the beginning. A9-off out of position is just not usually a very good NLHE hand. It's a hand with reverse implied odds written all over it. I don't suppose I'll convince you to fold it getting 11:1 (I'd probably play it too), but you're going to have to hit the flop twice to have any confidence that you have the best hand.

So after preflop action, you have the worst possible position, a very multiway pot, and five widely-varying SPRs ranging from a little over 6 to almost 20. By no means do you intend to commit with less than two pair.

You catch a mediocre-to-good flop, top pair-bad kicker. You bet 1/2 pot as a probe, which is OK. (Check-calling a late-position bet would also be OK if that would leave the pot heads-up.) You get minraised, representing at least a better ace. Calling this bet will mean you've put in about 10% of your effective stack, so <font color="red">you need a plan. What is your plan?</font>

If you get married to your top pair, you're risking $8.50 in your stack for a $3 pot with a hand that's probably badly beaten. You might also be drawing virtually dead to AT or a set. Even with your immediate pot odds so immense (almost 8:1), calling to catch a nine (14:1) is probably bad. You might make some money with two pair, but your implied odds still aren't great because of the possibility of top two or a set.

So I think you have to fold once your flop bet gets raised.

You catch your miracle card on the turn, with effective stacks of $8.50 and $5.75. You probably have the best hand, so you're willing to commit now and hope to win against all kinds of pair-of-aces hands, as well as A3 or T9. Betting the pot is a fine way to get the money in; check/raising would also be good.

On the river you have effective stacks of $5.10 and $2.35, which are much less than the pot, so you're happy to shove the rest of the chips in.

In general I think <font color="red">you got too optimistic about aces with a nine kicker</font>, and <font color="red">you probably put in 10% of your stack without a commitment plan</font>. A9 is not a good ace. Calling in the SB is hard to turn down, but calling flop raises in a multiway pot is awful. You turned a lucky three-outer which made your hard-to-play hand very easy to play from there.

I'm in the process of devouring PNLHE, so apologies for the jargon -- but I think it's good to think through SPRs and commitment plans, even in a multiway pot like this.