Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 01:49 PM

Default 2/5 NL live - Top 2, draw heavy board

So I was playing 2/5 NL at the Taj for 2-3 hours when this hand came up. I have $600ish, and am covered by villain.
Villain has been playing pretty TAG, with strong raises preflop with made hands and a few limps here and there.

Taj Mahal 2-5 NL (10 handed)

Villain ($800)
Hero ($600)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with , .
Villain calls $5, Hero calls $5, 4 other callers, SB completes, BB checks

Flop: ($41) , , (9 players)
3 checks, Hero checks, 2 checks, CO bets $25, 1 fold, SB calls $25, BB calls $25, villain raises to $125, hero???

I felt CO was pretty loose aggressive, which is part of the reason I was gonna attempt a check-raise, so he doesn't worry me much. SB and BB are weak call stations.
I have villain on a hand range of mostly KT, and 77 with some combo draws like KhQh and rarely K7, T7. Am I giving villain too much credit here? Limping UTG, I don't expect to see Khxh, K7, and T7 very often, with that many players I don't think he ever has just a naked king.
Anyway, thoughts on hand range and also how to proceed with the hand would be much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: 2/5 NL live - Top 2, draw heavy board

I'm mucking it. With that many people in action someone made a set, and it looks like it was villain.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:02 PM

How did you create this post with the cards shown like they are? I really like that.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:20 PM

Considering your read it looks a lot like a set, QJh, KQh or maybe 89h. Pot control is pretty much out the window so it's a read and react push or fold IMHO.

I agree that you don't see a naked king here often but if he is reading the table as well as you he could make this play with Axh or maybe a black KQ.

GS
Old 08-16-2007, 02:22 PM

Ouch. Since you only have $5 invested, this is easy to get away from. Villain out-check-raised you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It also kind of depends on villain's read of you and the others still in the hand. I don't think top two pair has it here, though.

If you want to play for stacks with top two, raise or push. If not, fold. Given your read of villain, I'd fold.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree that you don't see a naked king here often but if he is reading the table as well as you he could make this play with Axh or maybe a black KQ.

GS

[/ QUOTE ]
If I think this is somewhat possible does this turn a fold into a push?
[ QUOTE ]
Ouch. Since you only have $5 invested, this is easy to get away from. Villain out-check-raised you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
It was hard not to think this way during the hand, but I was trying to make the proper play in terms of EV

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It also kind of depends on villain's read of you and the others still in the hand. I don't think top two pair has it here, though.

If you want to play for stacks with top two, raise or push. If not, fold. Given your read of villain, I'd fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
When it gets back to villain, I am sure he has no idea I have an interest in the hand. He knows the blinds are call stations, and probly figures no one else is strong. I guess this could mean his range is wider than I thought at the time. And yes, clearly it's play for stacks or fold.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain has been playing pretty TAG, with strong raises preflop with made hands and a few limps here and there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shove. Villain's range is much larger than you're giving him credit for here. That's a very wet flop and he's check raising an aggressive player and two stations. He has no reason to believe you have a hand unless you're a tellbox.

I think you do see naked kings here (AK&KQ), top two, bottom two, maybe a K7s occassionally, obviously sets, all kinds of combo draws. If villain were very TAG, I could see folding here, but pretty TAG in a live game = pretty loose in an online game.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

GS

[/ QUOTE ]
If I think this is somewhat possible does this turn a fold into a push?

[/ QUOTE ]
Like I said in my OR. [ QUOTE ]
Pot control is pretty much out the window so it's a read and react push or fold IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think this guys is super tag fold but I'm pretty sure he reading the same things as you so I push.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 PM

I don't think he has a naked K here. A limp UTG and a check-raise on this flop say to me what they say to you: 77, KT, KQh, maybe KJh. TT is possible, but it seems as if he'd raise with that, and you have a T.

I still worry about the three players behind, too, although I can't imagine they have a made hand.

Best case, we're a little better than a coin flip against KQh (heads up) and about tied with KT.

PM me results, please, if you do not plan to post them.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 PM

Forgot to add: Personally, I would have bet (close to pot if not pot) that flop, but I understand why you didn't.