Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 12:47 AM

Default 50NL - Ugly Overpair Spot Vs. Katatonic1

Hi All-

Will post my thoughts after the session.... Very interested to hear yours.

FWIW villain is Katatonic1, who in my few short session at 50NL is running 50/20/2 but according to the "stars regulars" thread is not entirely retarded but tends to call a bit too much. I am unclear but the thread seems to suggest he is in fact a winning regular (?????)

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $57.25
BB: $55.25
UTG: $49.25
MP: $28.10
Hero (CO): $50.85
BTN: $79.85

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, BTN calls $2.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($5.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4.50</font>, BTN calls $4.50

Turn: ($14.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $9.00</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $18.00</font>, Hero ???????/
Old 08-16-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Re: 50NL - Ugly Overpair Spot Vs. Katatonic1

well, i have no idea who he is or what the discussion is, but the odds of him flat calling OTB, and minraising the turn, AND being a overall winner are slim. It's unlikely a thinking player minraises the turn much, or flat calls the button often.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:02 AM

Yeah. This guy does minraises a lot. He plays like a donk as far as I can see, but theres a lot of discussion of him in the aforementioned thread. Makes me really confused as to wtf hes doing here though.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 AM

I think this is either something that has you beat, or possibly some sort of top-pair-type hand making the ol' free showdown play on the turn.

I think the river will check through sometimes, and I think you're almost always beat if you call this and the river gets bet. So it seems like calling this raise with the intention of folding on the river might actually be okay. I'm not sure how much better it is than just folding right now, though.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:56 AM

JT, 98, 44 maybe. I think he'd raise the pp's for bigger sets preflop.

I call and hope for a cheap showdown.. He might put you on two overs and have hit a smaller pair with a SC. If he often plays a big hand this way then he'll make it easy for you in later hands. I'd prefer to learn about this opponent than trying to maximise in this situation, also because he seems to be a regular in your games.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well, i have no idea who he is or what the discussion is, but the odds of him flat calling OTB, and minraising the turn, AND being a overall winner are slim. It's unlikely a thinking player minraises the turn much, or flat calls the button often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr Ocean,

With the Baluga whale theory obsession here, Min raising the turn isnt a terrible play for a thinking player against another thinking player.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 AM

My first post here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Here goes: you made a strong preflop bet so he probably put you on a big pocket pair. Maybe he felt you were trying to buy the button, too.

If I get a good read of a big pocket pair I love to call with connected suiters in hopes of flopping 2 pair/straight/flush draws, especially if I'm in position, so I'm putting him on 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - he's certainly got the odds to call postflop and with the latter the turn obviously gives him a straight.

I very much like this minimum reraise by him, since now you can't be sure if he's trying to push you all in with the straight or just trying to semi-bluff you out of it by making a weak bet representing the nuts. He's still got outs if it's connected spades.

Furthermore, if he got the big pair read from you, he'll know you didn't connect. I'd probably fold top pair in this situation, since you're committed if you call. Maybe bet the flop a little more, close to pot to see a reraise or fold here, then fold to the former if it's to be.

Edit: I might be giving him a bit too much credit here, but he's been discussed here a bit and apparently is a winning player.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 AM

98s and JT are the things that come into my mind. I hate this board, fold. One thing I am certain this is NEVER a bluff. Easy fold.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:36 AM

At the time I wanted to agree with the "call turn, check/fold river" crew. Hence, I called.

River bricked, Villain pushed AI, and hero folded with his tail between his legs, hating his call and feeling like villain HAS to push this river no matter what he has.

Just fold turn? Anyone seen this guy do this before?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 AM

I think you have to push or fold, but can't call OOP.

I would fold.