Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Frangos

I tried a search and never post in the stud forum so my apologies if there is an old thread on this guy. I like this kid/guy for some reason, but I never hear anything about him outside of his couple ESPN final tables.

Has anyone played live with him?
Is he really as good at 7Stud as ESPN makes it sound?
Does he play online?

Any stories would be appreciated.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Frangos

He plays in AC in the huge stud/mix games (400-800, 500-1000)- he is very well regarded as far as I know. He plays 150-300 as well. I've never seen him play straight hold 'em. I have played a few hands with him in the 75 games, but don't have much experience with him at all. He plays above my speed limit. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jeff
Old 08-14-2007, 10:05 PM

Frangos didn't appear very likeable with the insults and whining.

On the second to last hand did Lisandro ask the dealer to count the chips still in front of Frangos that were part of the pot? Lisandro won the hand but it appeared he wanted to make sure Frangos hadn't for some reason happened to short the pot.

Patty
Old 08-14-2007, 10:23 PM

I have never played with him before but here is what i have seen.

I play 20/40 stud at the borgata sometimes which they run in the high limit rooms on the weekend next to the high limit mixed/stud games. From i know he plays stud/mixed games very well as is one of those people known as "the local pro".

Another thing i have noticed is that once you approach the higher limit "limit" games there really isn't any straight holdem games. The bigger games, at least in atlantic city are all either mixed, HOSE, HOE, Stud only or Omaha. So whether by choice of lack of alternative in cash game he plays mostly non holdem. IN fact, unless i am mistaken, about the highest stakes limit holdem game they have running on a regular basis is 40/80 although i have seen them spread 80/160 on occasion.

I've seen him as low as 75/150 and as high as 500/1000.

I have never personally spoke with him etc however from all behavior i have seen he is rather loud and cocky.

Also maybe people in NVG might have more information on this.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:27 PM

I've played with Fat Nicky YEARS ago (as well as playing with Phil Ivey. Good game selection I've got, huh?) before he started to play at obscene limits. He is VERY, VERY aggressive, and imo, he is more aggressive than his cards warrant, but, he does read people very well. I think he is a natural talent, raw, and probably never picked up a poker book.

I've played with him before on PP, too---usually at the lower limit O8 tables and once in awhile in the stud8 games. His stud8 game is his least best game from what I saw of it (has a hard time folding pairs even if his opponent is showing four babies, but whatever)

As far as his personality goes, he's still quite young (not trying to make excuses for him) but I do think it explains his arrogance and his cockiness. As for his good qualities, he is a very generous, do-anything-for-you guy.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 AM

I played with him years ago in small games, before he moved to AC and had his first run of cards. He read people well at that time but not cards; too many loose calls and substandard starting hands for a loose limit game. Much better in shorthanded action than full ring, in those days. I remember not being comfortable playing with him shorthanded. Some people have made some accurate observations on this thread, imo. He used to have disdain for people who actually played better than him (his HE game was not that great, back then), and he actually didn't do well in low limit (4/8 and 10/20) HE back then, IIRC. He was a big fat loudmouth, lol. A lot can change in a few years, though.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Re the pot shorting: I think It was adick thing to ask given that he had already pushed a stack into the pot. If he wanted ot aks,t hatw as the time. It was kicking someone when he was down- he had Frangos outchiped liek 15 to 1 at that point.

I heard Frangos is an extrmely good player.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:25 PM

All I know was from TV, where he said he had made $1M at stud and mixed games. Also, TJ said if they were playing stud rather than NLHE, Frangos would be the best player. My impression from those two interviews was that he was quite strong.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 PM

I have been in the room at the Borg while Nicky and Ted Forest stake other players as a team. I have often wondered if Nicky and Ted are the two best Stud players around today, Nicky plays in Ted's game when it runs.

Also - I recall him playing NL with Fast Eddie, Varkonyi, and a few others last year, I could be wrong - Jeffage, I think it was the weekend we first got to know one another.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Based on what I observed in person watching this final table, I echo many of the observations in this thread about Frangos. (See my post in other thread: $2K Stud Final Table)