Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Profit on the button?

Is a winning player profitable or not when playing from the button position over the long run?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Profit on the button?

[ QUOTE ]
Is a winning player profitable or not when playing from the button position over the long run?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

But over a very large number of hands, I would expect a "winning" player to be profitable in all positions except the blinds.

However, I would expect a higher amount of profit from the later positions like the cutoff and the button.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The button should be the most profitable position. I doubt it's possible to be a winner without being a significant winner on the button.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

But over a very large number of hands, I would expect a "winning" player to be profitable in all positions except the blinds.

However, I would expect a higher amount of profit from the later positions like the cutoff and the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it bad that SB is my most profitable position? I'm playing it at 28/3.62/not sure on post flop aggression. I have a winrate% of 9.2%. This is only over 4.5k hands so not a very large sample. But should I look at tightening my play here?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it bad that SB is my most profitable position? I'm playing it at 28/3.62/not sure on post flop aggression. I have a winrate% of 9.2%. This is only over 4.5k hands so not a very large sample. But should I look at tightening my play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your winrate in the blinds will certainly go negative eventually. Are your stats for limit or no limit? Short-handed or full-ring? In any case, you're on the loose side and you don't raise enough preflop.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Sorry those stats were for NL fullring games. So if I'm likely to start losing over the long run I should start to play a lot tighter instead of just starting to raise more right?

(Sorry for the thread Hi-jack.)
Old 08-14-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry those stats were for NL fullring games. So if I'm likely to start losing over the long run I should start to play a lot tighter instead of just starting to raise more right?

(Sorry for the thread Hi-jack.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll lose from the blinds in the longrun. I don't play NL so I don't know what reasonable stats look like for your game. Here is a FAQ with some relevant links (about 1/2 way down).
Old 08-14-2007, 04:43 PM

A winning player should be profitable in every position other than the blinds, and increasingly more profitable as you move from UTG to the button. Think about it; in all these positions you are never forced to put in money, so why would you ever play a hand with which you won't turn a profit?

A net loss from the SB and BB is to be expected, but your goal should be to limit these losses as much as possible.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:30 PM

I know my sample size is small, 624 hands. I show profit as expected, that diminishes as position worsens, as expected, but I show a small loss on the button.

I'm just analyzing and trying to figure out why. I did think the button should be profitable.

.5/1 limit

<font color="red">Button) -.55</font>
1) 26.75
2) 17.20
3) 17.20
4) 22.45
5) 9.05
6) 1.80
7) 2.55
<font color="red">BB) -19.80
SB) -32.00</font>

For an overall win of $44.65 over the 624 hands.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 PM

Very simply, your sample size is way too small. Give it more time to even out, and don't try to compensate by playing a lot looser/tighter on the button than you think you should. It will even out in the long run, guaranteed.