Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 02:01 AM

Default $25 NL 6-max: I rep flush on turn, 4-flush on river makes 2 pair

Just a sanity check more than anything. Did I rep the flush well on the turn, and was folding the river correct? I'm pretty sure if a non-diamond comes on the river, it's a check/push and I take it down. Does that seem correct?

And if your response is "fold pf", please answer this question: Why is it wrong to call in position, where we can take advantage of post-flop play? What factors other than your cards do you take into consideration when deciding to call a raise when you have the button?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $2.60
BB: $8.35
UTG: $22.45
MP: $17.25
CO: $23.90
Hero (BTN): $53.55

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $0.85</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.85, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.05) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($2.05) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1.50</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to $3.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $8.00</font>, UTG calls $5.00

River: ($18.05) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets all-in for $13.60</font>, Hero folds
Uncalled bet of $13.60 returned to UTG

Pot Size: $18.05 ($0.90 Rake)
Old 08-14-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: $25 NL 6-max: I rep flush on turn, 4-flush on river makes 2 pair

Yeah I like it. Given his play, it looks like he had KK-QQ with one [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and got there on the river. If he didn't have a diamond, I think you would've won it with your turn reraise.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:19 AM

Calling utg raises w/ unsuited connectors isn't good at all.
I'm not a big man of the turn because players who love to check/minraise don't exactly fold much after they do it.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I like it. Given his play, it looks like he had KK-QQ with one [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and got there on the river. If he didn't have a diamond, I think you would've won it with your turn reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious: Couldn't he have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? Or would that just be too weak, calling TP/TK or 2ndK with the flush redraw?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From OP:

[ QUOTE ]
And if your response is "fold pf", please answer this question: Why is it wrong to call in position, where we can take advantage of post-flop play? What factors other than your cards do you take into consideration when deciding to call a raise when you have the button?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-14-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious: Couldn't he have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? Or would that just be too weak, calling TP/TK or 2ndK with the flush redraw?

[/ QUOTE ]

I discount the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] because he checked the flop. Would he do that with AK, AQ? Probably not sophisticated enough to do that. I suppose he could have been slowplaying A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Ax though.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From OP:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no implied odds, no reads on opponent
Old 08-14-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From OP:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no implied odds, no reads on opponent

[/ QUOTE ]
Flat calling in position is fine as long as you have a good amount of steal equity. For that to happen the stacks need to be somewhat deep so that most of the money can go in on the turn/river betting rounds, where the position player will have an advantage (as opposed to the preflop/flop betting rounds, where the player with the better starting hand will have the edge).

In this hand, UTG had $21.60 when the hand went to the flop and the pot was $2.05. The SPR for this hand was about 10.5. This is a marginal situation and I would just fold preflop. With deeper stacks I like calling. Some read of the opponent is helpful, but as long as you have some kind of hand that can turn into something (unsuited connector is okay), you do have a backup plan of making two pair or better, or flopping a draw.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:21 AM

Agreed on stacks: I didn't take that into consideration, and only the checked flop allowed me to make this play with proper bet-sizes.

Notice, though, that I was playing the board with complete disregard to my hand (I shouldn't have even put the 2 pair in the title). Once the stacks are deep, why can't we just call on the button no matter what our cards are? (Obviously it has to be folded from OR to me for me to try this)