Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:50 PM

Default 3-bet.net group coaching session idea: your input please!

Howdy folks, Krantz and I have been putting together an idea for a coaching session that many of you may be interested in, but we’d like to get some opinions from the players who are most likely to be interested before we set it up.

The coaching will be a small group session, approximately one hour long, and will consist of a 3-bet.net coach playing a few tables and discussing his hands with the group while they sweat. There will be another 3-bet coach in the session helping to moderate, answer questions, and provide his opinion when it might differ. There will be about 6 students, and the whole group will be in a Skype group chat. At the end of the session, a block of time will be reserved for any questions that the students might have, ideally regarding the play that took place, or some extrapolation of it to their own style of play. Of course the students will also be able to ask questions during the session itself, but they should be less frequent to be sure that everyone can hear what’s going on. The session will cost a reasonable amount (less than the standard hourly rates of the coaches) and hand histories from the session will be available to the students afterwards, so that they can review them at their leisure.

That’s the basic idea, but we’d like to hear your opinions on it so that we can adjust it to work as well as possible.

1) What stakes would you be most interested in seeing the coach play?

2) How many tables do you think would be best?

3) How would you choose to distribute the time during the session, with regards to sweating of play and questions/discussion?

4) What do you think is a reasonable fee for the hour?

And if you have other ideas, thoughts, or concerns, feel free to make them heard here. Our primary goal is to make this as enlightening as possible for the students who choose to be a part of it.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: 3-bet.net group coaching session idea: your input please!

I think 400NL would be a good level to play. 1000NL there are too many good regs, so a lot of the stuff would not be applicable to the players. 200NL and 100NL there are too many droolers so that a lot of the spots are going to be very basic and easy. 400NL seems to be a happy medium.

With regards to charging, I think the coach could put up his hourly by up to maybe 50% and then divide the total between all the students.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:09 PM

This seems very interesting and I would love to take part.

1) I was also thinking 400NL, it is within 1 or 2 levels of most people who frequent SSNL, and would be applicable to MSNL players as well.

2) 2-4 tables. Videos with 4 tables seem to go well, but if there are a lot of questions then I can see that the coach couldn't keep up. However with 2 tables it is possible that there would be too many standard/boring situations and not enought involved hands.

3) Trial and Error, I can that some sessions would have several hands that are involved and require a lot of discussion, whereas with other sessions only a couple hands.

4) 100-150 each? That would be 300-450 per coach per hour, I'm unsure of your regular coaching rates though.

The main problem I can see if arranging the groups. If it is sign up and you join a group where people are at completely different levels, I can see the more advanced students being fustrated that the topics being discussed are trivial to them, whereas it could be difficult to arrange it so that you are with 5 people close in skill level.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 PM

This is a great idea IMO.

Would like to see 600NL played.

2-4 tables...2 or 3 is prob optimal with decent commentary.

35 min play/25 min coach talk since im sure 3-6 ppl will have a bunch of questions.

6 students I would pay 100$ and be happy to do so I think.

Would definitely be interested in this.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:36 PM

I think the idea rocks and im defo interested.

I'd like to see 400NL.

I think 4 tables is best.

I'd divide sweating/ discussion 50/50.

When it comes to the fee, I like Jay's idea.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:39 PM

sounds like a great idea. im very interested.

i would vote for 400NL

2-4 tables

40mins playing/ 20min q and a

for a 6 student session this should be $50-100

how would the students sweat the tables?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM

I'm down for this too.

400NL would be good.

I'd be willing to pay like $100.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:52 PM

I am very very down for this, and think it is a fantastic idea.

Willing to pay ~$70-100 easily.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM

holler, i like it. 400 is the level i was thinking too.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:15 PM

400nl sounds like a good level (which is also the level most ssnl-ers want to move up to, and it's also a level that is considerably tougher than the jump from, say 100 to 200).

$50-100/hr seems good. Any more seems bad because for more you can get a personal coach. So if I would do this I'd expect to either have a very good coach or the whole conversation in the group would bring more information to the table.

I'm a bit concerned about the technical issues. Skyping with 6-people has it's problems of it's own, let alone having a live sweating session of 4-tabling between everyone.
An alternative could be to do a pre-recorded session which incidentally also allows to freeze to answer questions. In fact, I'd say this would be very important and don't see doing it any other way would be very succesful.
This can also take away many technical difficulties. And another plus would be that we get to keep the videos for later revisiting ourselves; though you'll have to think of something that they don't get spread around for free or resell or something.
Maybe the session could be pre-recorded and we watch it from a streaming location and only get the HHs afterwards, or something like that.

I feel an extra 20 minutes after the fact with individual questions that people can also prepare would be very valuable. For example, I have some questions about emotional stamina, concentration, site selection, game selection, and so on, which are not directly addressed in any sweat sessions.
Closed Thread