Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 07:09 AM

Default bringing your online game to live poker

I am a winning online player mostly playing 5/10-25/50 NL and PLO but I am having some trouble playing live. Online all the information about potsizes, betting patterns, ranges etc are easier to observe but I am having trouble having the same thought processes when I am playing live. even when I am really interested in the game. This is more of a problem in cash games. Perhaps because you dont have to consider that many (post flop) factors in tournaments.

of course one obvious way to improve my live game is to play more but I am more interested in hearing your thoughts in speeding up the process. also, most of the live games here are small stakes and full ring which makes it hella boring.

For example, yesterday I was playing a 40/40€ PLO/NL game with two world class players, two known pros and a couple of fish. Eventhough almost all of the players were making clearn mistakes like playing way too loose, passive, some having quite clear betting patterns etc I just couldnt use the information to exploit their play to the fullest. in general I was again playing too passive.

Perhaps I am still being scared of live (cash game) play, perhaps some people just are better online than live (and vice versa). nonetheless, there must be some ways to get better. sorry for the rambling. all help is appreciated.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Re: bringing your online game to live poker

Im going to assume you play .05/.10 and .25/.50, otherwise this makes no sense. Why would you be scared to play against loose, passive players?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:47 AM

you'll get used to it
Old 08-12-2007, 01:59 PM

no I ment 5/10-25/50. its not like I am literally scared. I just cant bring my aggression to the same level compared to my online game, nor reads, nor ranges, tells are probably the only thing I am better live than online [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2007, 06:20 PM

I could always beat live poker cash games way before I learned to be a winner online
Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could always beat live poker cash games way before I learned to be a winner online

[/ QUOTE ]

they tend to be softer. you probably just need to become more comfortable playing in the presence of your opponents.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:57 PM

I have the same type of problem playing live, probably because I can't just start up another tournament if I bust out. Also, being able to multi-table gives me a lot more incentive to play aggressively and risk getting busted out (where live I have trouble not trying to survive instead of accumulating chips.)
Old 08-13-2007, 02:45 PM

You obv. can't bluff as much live.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no I ment 5/10-25/50. its not like I am literally scared. I just cant bring my aggression to the same level compared to my online game, nor reads, nor ranges, tells are probably the only thing I am better live than online [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found the exact same problem with my self. Every live game I attend I dont have the urge to out play and out agress the other players. Online behind the screen all you see is money and of course with more experience it is easier. One bit of advise I have to this sort of problem is to drink a few when playing live. Sounds silly but I have known several players, myself included, who after a few drinks turn playing a tight passive game into a chip stacking tight aggressive one.