Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 04:43 AM

Default 77 in the blinds.

CO ($100) is running 20/18/3 over 1000 hands.
Hero ($100) is in the BB with 77

6max, .5/1 NL

Preflop: 2 folds CO raises to $4, 2 folds hero calls (better to raise?).

Flop: 8s 4c 8c

Hero checks (better to lead here?) CO bets $7 Hero..?

How is this line so far?
Is it bad to float here?
Better to raise or fold?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:50 AM

Default Re: 77 in the blinds.

Preflop call/raise about 50/50, depending on how easy i can extract with sets and how well he reacts to 3bets etc..

As played i call/raise about 70/30 i think, never fold without a strange postflop read.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:51 AM

I think you played it fine so far. You can also elect to repop 77, depending on how often he steals blinds.
On the flop i think both a call,raise and fold would be ok.
The decision must be based on your history against eachother and in general table dynamics.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:52 AM

You post a lot of really standard situations.

I don't mean this in a bad way it's just that you should probably read more and post less for a while if this situation is giving you trouble.

PF line is fine. I usually c/c the flop and check the turn to him and see what he does. If he's been especially aggro I might call two streets but usually it's just one, no need to raise anywhere unless you spike a 7 because worse hands won't call and better hands usually don't fold.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:03 AM

Well the reason I post this is because I read this thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post11624503

and I have a hard time knowing when it is a bad time to c/c a flop. The situation in this thread is quite different but still.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:05 AM

The fact that that other hand is multiway makes a big difference, and in that other hand I'm leading the flop a lot.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:13 AM

we like leading because we want to know where we stand?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't mean this in a bad way it's just that you should probably read more and post less for a while if this situation is giving you trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Standard' situations are where some of the biggest leaks in peoples games are. Obscure tough decisions are fun to analyze and all, but in the long run they're just a tiny fraction of your hands and aren't going to have a massive impact on your earn rate so long as you don't routinely do anything completely stupid in them. If you're making even a small mistake in what seems to be a standard/common situation, it would result in an enormous hit to your earn rate.

This spot is really interesting because an aggro villain is going to perceive hero's range as flush draws, weakish pairs, and occasionally monsters. That means calling here is going to see a second barrel fired on the turn with a somewhat wide range from many aggressive villains - and if anything even remotely scary comes on the turn, a double barrel is coming almost always when they have air. IMO, this makes the line of calling the flop and folding most turns somewhat questionable unless you have a read that the guy is completely incapable of double barreling weakness - which is almost never going to be the case for a 20/18/3. However, very few players are capable of triple barreling here.

That rant aside, you can play this hand so many ways. Call the flop - donk the turn. Check fold the flop, check raise the flop if that is a part of your game, check/call the flop - check/call most turns, donk the flop etc..
Old 08-12-2007, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'Standard' situations are where some of the biggest leaks in peoples games are. Obscure tough decisions are fun to analyze and all, but in the long run they're just a tiny fraction of your hands and aren't going to have a massive impact on your earn rate

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrastingly, both these posts are really good advice. The hand posted IS very standard in that if player doesn't knwo what to do in this situation they should consider dropping down in stakes. However, it is also extremely important to work on the fundamentals of the game. Situation where for eg. flopping small set meets extreme aggression from opponent are fun to analyze, but how often do you get a set that makes you wonder if it even holds up!? Same with a Q/K-high flush meeting strong resistance despite your strong play. Those situations simply rarely occur, chances are you won't get them in a 2-hour session for eg. People that don't know how to play such situations can even just simply fold them.. does very little difference to the hourly rate.

But holding pocket pairs from 55 to 99, and seeing higher paired flop or overcards, it happens all the time. There are many ways to play such a hand but position and opponent aside, one has to decide whether to play it strong or weak from preflop, then flop. Personally I prefer to play it strong and take down the pot early. Letting them draw just turns a winning hand to a loser. If you're gonna play it weak then keep the pot small preflop and on flop so it's easy to fold later on.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:56 AM

I don't see why I have to drop down in limits because I ask opinions on a hand that could be play multiple ways..