Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2006, 05:43 AM

Default very frustrated with telling people what I do

i am just sick of this. what do you guys do, i know there must be TONS of ppl in my exact situation.

background: played for 15 months, never had a losing month, living off of poker for 1 year, not rich but more money than most friends/aquaintences my age.

Family thinks I am a degenerate gambler probably.

Friends I'm not sure, but those who know me well are ok with it.

Girls I don't know are my real problem. Inevitably the "so... what do you do?" comes up, and "I play poker" just seems to get overwhelmingly terrible responses. Not a single f*cking time has her response ever been something like "wow, cool!"

wtf?

I think they either don't believe me, or think I'm some kind of gambling junky who has gotten lucky thus far. The question always comes up "well how much do you make?" and we all know how hard this is to finger, but I always just dodge the question with something like "well, I'd rather not get into specifics, but it pays my rent/bills with enough left over to have some fun too."

I just get the feeling girls react to the whole "play poker for a living" thing VERY negatively, and it's been very frustrating for me lately.

what do you guys do?

p.s. I don't have a car currently (live 2 blocks from campus and really don't need one at all) but I keep thinking that if I had some decent car it would change things. Do you guys think this would change girls perspective of me playing poker? I've been thinking yes, but I'm curious what others have to say.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:56 AM

Default Re: very frustrated with telling people what I do

get 3million stars points and get urself a porsche that will teach'em
Old 02-27-2006, 05:58 AM

lol, though you were joking, that would definately work i think.

though i was thinking more along the lines of a used 350Z (bout 20k)
Old 02-27-2006, 06:08 AM

Do you have anything else to your name besides a year of poker? A college degree?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:15 AM

I keep thinking that if I had some decent car it would change things. Do you guys think this would change girls perspective of me playing poker?

This is not a good idea. Don't buy things to impress people. Do things with your money because you want to, not because it will make people think you are cool or rich. You may be happy for the moments when people are like, "wow, awesome car, did you pay for that with your poker winnings." And it will feel great to be like, "well ya, I did." I wouldn't pay $30-$50K for that feeling though. Save it for your future, investments, etc... If buying a car is what you want to do, by all means go for it, but if you are buying it just so people can see you in it, you will have buyer's remorse down the road, I can guarantee it.

The thing that most annoys me is when friends/family ask you to do something and you tell them you are "working", and they say, "you can play poker anytime, come help me with this", or "let's go do this."

I know exactly where you are coming from. I was in the store the other day with my sister. We see a lady who is/was very active with our high school. She is also a parent of a girl my age I went to school with. She asks what I am doing, and I say playing poker. She looks at me kind of funny, and says okay, but what are you doing for a job. I say, "Poker, I play full-time." I think she might have asked if I got my degree or something, I can't really remember the whole convo. Anyways, she just makes a joke about her kids play a little poker too(they are much younger) She says something along the lines of, "you kids all like to gamble huh?" Then she asks me if I'm going to start looking for a job. Basically, she went away acting as if I would be better off being a garbage man or something.

People won't understand that you can do well playing poker. These are the people we make our money from.

Don't worry about what others think.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:57 AM

i dont leave my house.

problem solved!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have anything else to your name besides a year of poker? A college degree?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah

9 units away from a college degree in a major i hate and want nothing to do with. a lot of good friends and a great family, not sure if that's answering your question though.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:46 AM

The only girls I've ever told have thought it was the coolest thing ever. However, I always tell people when I first meet them that I'm a student at UNLV. It is just easier to deal with when I first meet someone if they don't know what I do for a living or how much I make. That way if anything actually develops I know it wasn't for the wrong reasons.

IF on the other hand I am just trying to bang some girl that night, I let her know right away what I do for a living and definitely how much I make. Gold diggers and girls who look up to men with money are some of the easiest pussy ever. And I'm never calling this bitch so what do I care if she is attracted to my money.

My entire family now knows what I do for a living. My mom and dad were originally apprehensive, but once you eclipse their earn, they tend to be quiet. My grandparents still want me to go back and get a degree I won't use, however. I may do it just to appease them and to have a plan B.

As for the car.... looks matter when talking to girls. It sucks, but it's true. Dress nicely, drive a "decent" car (no need for anything excessive, my car is under 20k) and just have confidence in yourself and what you do. Then when you say you play poker "professionally" (use that word) you will be taken more seriously.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only girls I've ever told have thought it was the coolest thing ever. However, I always tell people when I first meet them that I'm a student at UNLV. It is just easier to deal with when I first meet someone if they don't know what I do for a living or how much I make. That way if anything actually develops I know it wasn't for the wrong reasons.

IF on the other hand I am just trying to bang some girl that night, I let her know right away what I do for a living and definitely how much I make. Gold diggers and girls who look up to men with money are some of the easiest pussy ever. And I'm never calling this bitch so what do I care if she is attracted to my money.

My entire family now knows what I do for a living. My mom and dad were originally apprehensive, but once you eclipse their earn, they tend to be quiet. My grandparents still want me to go back and get a degree I won't use, however. I may do it just to appease them and to have a plan B.

As for the car.... looks matter when talking to girls. It sucks, but it's true. Dress nicely, drive a "decent" car (no need for anything excessive, my car is under 20k) and just have confidence in yourself and what you do. Then when you say you play poker "professionally" (use that word) you will be taken more seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kinda car do u drive outta curiosity?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:51 AM

A 2005 Flint Mica (Dark Greenish-Grey) Scion tC.

It is by no means anything spectacular, but it is fully paid for and in new condition; I also like that it is a coupe and has an all glass roof. All that matters is it is a late model and clean. You don't need a Bentley... girls just don't want a hooptie.