Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 05:07 PM

Default AK - TPTK on heavy board, value on the river?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($35.20)
Button ($16.65)
Hero ($24.75)
BB ($31.70)
UTG ($10.60)
MP ($24.95)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.95</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1.35.

Flop: ($4.05) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, CO calls $3.50.

Turn: ($11.05) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, CO calls $8.

River: ($27.05) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $27.05

It is like my 2nd orbit, i haven't seen villain playing alot of hands, i have seen him only calling down the river with 88 on a xKxQx board, catching a bluff.
There were alot of draws out there and he also might be passively playing a twopair, especially after calling a big bet on the turn.
Is there value in betting the river? I thought no worse hand would be calling me, but I'm not sure, since he's the guy who probably won't like to be bluffed and will call riverbets with medium holdings. I don't think he'd call a J, maybe only AQ.

Try to range/read him, it was very hard for me putting him on a hand, that didn't beat me, but minraise/calls me preflop.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: AK - TPTK on heavy board, value on the river?

He raised preflop and called a reraise. Depending on the villain, this doesn't really tell us much.

The flop call doesn't give away his hand either. Is he slowplaying something like KJ or a set, or is he drawing and want to wait for the turn?

He called a 3/4 pot bet on the turn, which worries me. I think he would fold a hand here that doesn't already have you beat or can improve to a hand that beats you on the river. The board is full of high cards and is very drawy.

On the river you still only have one pair, and I don't think we are going to get any more if we are betting. Either he has you beat and will reraise you, which can be hard/wrong to call, or he would just fold if he doesn't got the card he wants. If you check, he might try to bluff with a small bet, and you can call if you think it's the right thing to do.

I think I'll check the river, and wait for a better opportunity to value bet.

I don't know if others disagree, I myself have a hard time to play these situations OOP, with almost no reads and only TPTK to showdown.

I am thinking if it would be better if the turn bet was a little smaller. If he is drawing here, you could fold to a big river reraise later, and if he already have you beat, he would probably raise the turn, so the pot got bigger on the river. On This particular hand I would like to play a small pot.

What do you other guys say about that?