Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Playing 2 pair on the river

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

UTG ($20.45)
UTG+1 ($36.10)
MP1 ($29.50)
MP2 ($8.05)
CO ($21.85)
Button ($26.90)
SB ($5.50)
Hero ($25.10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], 9[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]].
UTG calls $0.25, [color=Gray]2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, [color=Gray]3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.85) 3[[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]], 4[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]], 9[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [color=Blue](3 players)</font>
[color=Red]Hero bets $0.8</font>, UTG calls $0.80, MP2 calls $0.80.

Turn: ($3.25) 6[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [color=Blue](3 players)</font>
[color=Red]Hero bets $3.25</font>, UTG calls $3.25, MP2 calls $3.25.

River: ($13) 5[[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [color=Blue](3 players)</font>
[color=Red]Hero bets $7</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls $3.75 (All-In).

Final Pot: $23.75

My question regarding this hand is about how I played the river. Looking back, I really don't like my river bet. I think the best course of action is to check, and if the guy UTG bets anything significant I fold. I'm also calling the shortstack if he moves in.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Playing 2 pair on the river

Well on the river I would c/c or make a small block bet, like $5, because so many straight draws hit.

Other than that I don't really like your bet sizing. I think you bet too much on flop and turn and this built up the pot to a huge amount. I would bet 0.5-0.7 on flop. As played, bet 2-2.50 on turn.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Playing 2 pair on the river

Well, I was making pot sized bets to try and get the draws out of there. But I can see what you're saying, it does leave me vulnerable to someone who wants to trap me.

I'm not a fan of a blocking bet on this board. For one it's only $2 less than what I'd already bet. Also, if the UTG player has made the straight, I can't see why he wouldn't raise, and I don't see worse hands really just calling my blocking bet.

The bet on the river was pretty bad, and I still maintain that my best option is to C/F to the UTG player, and C/C to the short-stack.