Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 02:17 AM

Default high pair on 5th vs two pair

Playin live today on fifth have Kings up, this guy who usually plays who is a good player folds his aces. Also tonight lost a lot of hands starting with the high pair and not getting another pair. What is the right play on fifth with highest pair Aces against and obvious two pair. Is it more profitable and correct to call to the river or fold?
Old 08-11-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Re: high pair on 5th vs two pair

pot size?
Old 08-11-2007, 02:34 AM

heads up after 3rd u raise on third bet out on fourth so at 5/10 it would be 20 and the 4 antes 2 bring in so 26
Old 08-11-2007, 03:02 AM

One thing I've noticed is that 'obvious two pair' is maybe 60% chance of two pair.

People will raise your As with all sorts of non-2-pair hands like pair with straight draw, pair with flush draw, etc.

In a heads-up situation, about the only time I will fold highest pair on 5th street is if many of my cards are dead (i.e. making it less likely to make 2nd pair).

This is also villain dependent as tighter players will be less likely to bet into you with a 2nd best hand.

As far as calling to the river and folding, I'd say that is the worst option, unless you are >90% sure of villain's hand. By the time you get to the river, you are getting something like 8:1 odds on your call.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:47 AM

Call to the river or fold is what i said. Also do you continue to bet to get value and pair up or check call until u get that second pair?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 PM

If your cards are live and there's a decent amount of money in the pot, you should probably see the river with Aces against "obvious" Kings-up. And has been pointed out, sometimes that "obvious" hand is not what it appears to be.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call to the river or fold is what i said. Also do you continue to bet to get value and pair up or check call until u get that second pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against most opponents, I will continue to bet for value.

Periodically it is good to check and see what the opponent does, though, as some people like to sucker you in by letting you bet their hand for them.

Many times, when I'm the person with the 'obvious two pair', merely calling all the way to the river and then bluffraising the river will win the hand a significant amount of the time if the aggressor only has one big pair.

If you really want to be brutal, when you bluffraise ont he river and they fold, show your cards anyway and you have guaranteed action for the rest of the night.

And even when your bluffraise fails, you will gain many BBs when you raise on future rivers when you have the goods.