Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Mixed Feelings

I am 18 years of age. I have been playing NLHE for about 3 years now with my friends. Playing against them I made probably about 2k. Virtually every cash game I played with them I made 6 or 7 times the buy-in. Even when I played a month or so ago with a guy I met at college and his friends which were known to be great at poker and big winners online, I still came out the big winner.

This is where the mixed feelings come in. I recently deposited 1k online and went busto within a month or two. I have to admit though that I did not use very good bankroll management at all. The first night I played 100 NL...

My question is, before I deposited online I was considering playing poker for a living after college...but since then I have had to reconsider. I am doubting my skills at a player, as I probably should be. I am not sure if these were just extremely soft games in real life, if the players were just better online, if bankroll management messed me up, or if I am simply better in real life.

So, in your guys opinion, should I still try to live my dream and try to play poker after college for a living?...or do you think that my online poker outcomes spoke loud and clear?

Thank you.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Mixed Feelings

First off I will say I am no expert. I have heard it is extremely hard to make a living at poker and you should not give up your career for poker. Not sure why you went busto, but the difficulty of live games is the same difficulty of online games that have much lower stakes. So being successful at 100 NL live won't necessarily translate to success at 100 NL online.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:03 AM

Onlines wayyy different and yeah if you dont have BR management that will definitely mess you up. If you got the cash try again except stay within your limits and dont get crazy. You will go on bad streaks and you need to be able to continue playing without going broke on these streaks which you cant do at 100NL with a 1k BR.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:49 AM

Invest in pokertracker and Pahud software.

Use 20 Buyins for the level you want to play.

Start with $1000 for NL50. Move up when you reach 30 buyins for the next level and move down when you have only 15 buyins for the level.

Online games will be more difficult than live games in general but still easily beatable at low stakes.

Read a few books and keep reading forums also to help your game.

Good Luck
Old 08-11-2007, 10:00 PM

I suspect the "big winners online" weren't really big winners online.

Just start out at the lowest stakes until you're comfortable with the software and winning a little money, then move up. Take your time and don't try to "skip a grade."
Old 08-11-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 18 years of age. I have been playing NLHE for about 3 years now with my friends. Playing against them I made probably about 2k. Virtually every cash game I played with them I made 6 or 7 times the buy-in. Even when I played a month or so ago with a guy I met at college and his friends which were known to be great at poker and big winners online, I still came out the big winner.

This is where the mixed feelings come in. I recently deposited 1k online and went busto within a month or two. I have to admit though that I did not use very good bankroll management at all. The first night I played 100 NL...

My question is, before I deposited online I was considering playing poker for a living after college...but since then I have had to reconsider. I am doubting my skills at a player, as I probably should be. I am not sure if these were just extremely soft games in real life, if the players were just better online, if bankroll management messed me up, or if I am simply better in real life.

So, in your guys opinion, should I still try to live my dream and try to play poker after college for a living?...or do you think that my online poker outcomes spoke loud and clear?

Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

your friends obviously aren't good and you havent played a large sample of hands. Anyone can get lucky and beat a person 1, 2, 3 times don't mean anything
Old 08-11-2007, 10:08 PM

Oh ya I forgot to say something stop milking your clueless friends out of money and quit poker, so you can get a real job, thanks. This is why you are going to college and your only 18.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect the "big winners online" weren't really big winners online.

Just start out at the lowest stakes until you're comfortable with the software and winning a little money, then move up. Take your time and don't try to "skip a grade."

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of big winners online as well as live. But the people we consider the "pros" are often just the most charistmatic ones that were in the spotlight on ESPN. People often look at the pros for inspiration.... the fact is, you should be playing based on truthful analysis of your own play. Don't let the money pros have made in poker dictate your own abilities. A lot of people think this guy made millions, so I can easily.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh ya I forgot to say something stop milking your clueless friends out of money and quit poker, so you can get a real job, thanks. This is why you are going to college and your only 18.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of post baffels me. Why be a big a$$? no one cares about you, or your stupid insults. We all just think your a jerk.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:52 AM

Alright guys, thanx. I'm going to invest 60 bux online and see if I can build that up. I'm going to stay inside my bankroll also and see how I do. What's so bad about milking money out of my friends? lol I still have 3 years before I have to go into the 'real world' so I plan on learning and getting better at poker.

And also, I know that being a 'pro' wouldn't be like it is for Phil Ivey or any of them most likely. I know that it would be a grind and I am fine with that.