Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Breaking games for a tournament

My local cardroom has 15 tables. Last night the tournament is about to begin and they break all but 4 games. I was playing 10-20 (limit) which was the biggest game going at the time. So they break our game and choose to keep 1-2NL, 4-8 lhe, 4-8 Omaha, and 2-4 lhe. Does anyone else think its ridic to break the biggest game in the house? Also the house makes the most in rake off of that game so breaking it seems just stupid on their part. Additionally it was almost all regular players that have been playing there for years and are some of that room's best customers. Was this a really bad decision by management or am I being a stupid baby because my game broke?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Breaking games for a tournament

1. Without knowing how many 10-20 players verses players from other games play in the tournament, how easy it is to restart the 10-20 as tournament tables become empty, etc, it is hard to say whether the decision was justified or not.

2. I would say management has the 'facts' and know what they are doing, but I have seen too many rooms run by Mo, Larry, and Curly.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM

I'm sure the wait lists for the smaller games were longer. To accommodate the most people, they kept alive the most popular games.

Wouldn't you?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:55 PM

Ok, your local card room needs two things:

1. Expansion. If you are using up 11 of the 15 tables for a tournament, it might be time to expand. Maybe a tent off the main room with semi-functional air conditioning?

2. Cap the tournament. It is a well known fact that the "rake" on tournament is not a huge money maker for the room after expenses. At least not as much as cash games. Sure, tables will get broken a little while into the tournament, but who will fill them? The players who have gone home cause you bumped them off the table for a tournament, or the players who came just for the tournament?

In my opinion, probably should have had only one limit table. No need for a 2/4 and a 4/8, when you have (I'm assuming) a full table of 10/20. Where any of the players at your tables going to play in the tournament?

At a maximum, cap the tournament at 100, which leaves 5 tables for 1/2 NL, 2/4 Limit, 3/6 NL, whatever limit stud/omaha/razz/gin rummy, and a 5/10 NL or 10/20 limit.