Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Computer won\'t boot up

I enable SLI when gaming on my system and disable it when I'm doing anything else. I disabled SLI this morning and turned my computer off. When I tried to turn it back on it won't even boot to the boot screen.

It will turn on, show a little hard-drive activity, then the DVD drive will spin. This goes on ad infinitum unless I do a hard shutdown.

I don't know if the SLI stuff has anything to do with this or if I had some hardware failure. This system is less than a year old with all high-end parts. I can't think of what would be causing this other than some sort of computer gremlins.

I seek help CTH. Please don't let me down.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Computer won\'t boot up

This is referred to as a failure to POST (power on self-test).

I would start by unplugging all the drives (CD/DVD & HDD) and pressing in all the cards to make sure they are seated properly. Make sure all necessary power cables are still plugged into the motherboard and nothing is loose. Try powering on.

If this doesn't work, then try removing all the memory and seeing if it gives you any beeps when you turn it on.

If that doesn't work, then put the memory back in, and remove every card except for video (only one video, not SLI and make sure you change whatever needs to be changed with spacer or whatever) and try to boot.

If that doesn't work, remove video and see if it beeps at you.

If it doesn't work, then it's either motherboard, processor or PSU usually. Find the jumper on teh motherboard to clear the CMOS settings (look in your manual) and reset the setting and try to boot with memory, CPU and video plugged in.

You could also try changing the BIOS battery because that *sometimes* can keep it from POSTing.

These are what I would do.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Computer won\'t boot up

Freakin, you're the [censored]' man.

Thanks.