Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Steal situation which gets me into trouble every time

100 bb stacks, hero raises on the button or cutoff with a hand like T9o, the small blind calls and big blind comes along. The small blind is not overly aggressive.

Flop is rags 974r

Checked to hero, who makes a sensible size c-bet and only the small blind calls.

Turn is another rag. Now what's the best line? I can't get used to how often the small blind seems to have a set now after this exact sequence...
Old 08-09-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Steal situation which gets me into trouble every time

How much did you actually bet on the flop?

Now bet again. Don't let a naked Ace hit for free. You can safely fold if raised or check-raised strongly.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is another rag. Now what's the best line? I can't get used to how often the small blind seems to have a set now after this exact sequence...

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably bet again with the intention of checking it down on the river if I can. Checking with the intention of calling a reasonable bet on the river is another consideration, but this board is drawy and raggy enough that I think I want to bet again to put pressure on straight draws and also possibly to get value from a hand like 55 that Villain could be hanging on to, thinking this flop missed you.

The reason it seems like you're up against a monster so often in this spot is that people don't peel as lightly in NL as you're used to in limit. (Well, and then also possibly you've been running bad.) This doesn't mean you're up against top pair or better every time you get called, but it does increase the chances of that when AJo is now a tiny part of Villain's range because most likely he would have folded it on the flop.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much did you actually bet on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

From memory, about 4/5 pot