Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 02:00 PM

Default 2/5 Live - Isolate shortstack with AK or play multiway pot?

2-5NL live game, pretty loose. Loose UTG+1 and UTG+2 limp each w/500 behind, tight cutoff makes it 25, with 100 behind, I have AKo on the button w/800 (I'm TAG). Do I smooth call or reraise to isolate and get him all in? If I just call, I'm sure at least one of the blinds and the limper will call. If I put the tight raiser solidly on a pp, like 1010-QQ, is it better to race him or play a multiway pot w/AK on the button?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Isolate shortstack with AK or play multiway pot?

I'd make a Pot Sized Raise to put the cutoff all in and hope no one else wants to come along.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:21 PM

I raised it to 65 and everyone else folded. The shortstack thought for a while then pushed, I called and raced his JJ. The flop was A95 rainbow, J on the turn and I was smoked. I don't know if I am just being results oriented here, but I think I should have just called and seen a flop. As played that way, 4 of us see the flop w/pot of 100, the limpers may have outflopped me, but unlikely, and the shortstack will not push with an ace on board. So the pot will very likely be mine. So is this situation better than simply racing the shorstack pf when I'm really only getting about 1:1 on my money?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:05 PM

It sounds like he thought about laying down the JJ, so you almost effortlessly picked up the $40 in the pot. Obviously sometimes you are not racing, as sometimes he has AA and KK, but I think your fold equity more than makes up for your equity when he pushes
Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 PM

If it's a really loose game where you can 3-bet and still possibly get called by a limper, then go ahead and 3-bet. But if they're just smart enough to be able to fold 76o to a 3-bet, then go ahead and call and see a flop. Basically you want to do whatever you can to get money out of the fish. 3-betting AK against a solid player isn't the thinnest of moves, but it's just not nearly as profitable as outplaying weaker players postflop.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:44 AM

Good point. The rest of the table was pretty weak, except for this kid actually.