Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Default NL50: TPTK Looking for pot control but c/r on the turn

No reads/stats on villain, but he's short, so probably bad/average. I don't check the flop often, but HU, against an unknown, i may check this flop to avoid getting blown out.

Double suited on the turn, I bet to protect against the 18 flush cards and any Q,K,9, that will scare me.

What's my action on the turn, and why?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $29.95
BB: $48.50
UTG: $14.50
<u>UTG+1: $31.15</u>
MP1: $4.00
<u>Hero (MP2): $69.10</u>
CO: $16.75
BTN: $68.80

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8 Players)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.00</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to $11.50</font>, Hero ...
Old 08-09-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: NL50: TPTK Looking for pot control but c/r on the turn

Yuck.

For starters I think you could have raised a hair more preflop to make this hand easier to play. In that case you would have been able to bet the flop with confidence since there wasn't so much behind.

As it is his play is a bit funny. He makes a pretty big c/r from a guy that just bet the flop. This is usually something that is ahead of you like a two-pair or set. He could be playing a picked up flush draw like this as well but I would guess that he may have a pair to go with it. I think you have to fold here.

I think draws are a small part of his range so I think you could have checked the turn with the intention of calling or making a value bet but it is a pretty read dependent spot. It really matters what hands will do this and if it is SC's and PP's or what.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Yuck. Is choking villain an appropriate action?

Folding may be prudent, but it feels so weak.

Pushing is bad. I don't think AQ and FDs call enough in this spot to offset all the times he has 2 pair+.

That leaves us with calling. If we call, we have to call any blank river. If the river connects, he will have 17 left into a pot of 27. Not sure what i would do if he pushes in that spot.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 PM

Fold because you have no reads and i don't see villains making this play on the turn with a draw very often.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:07 AM

what exactly checks this hand 2 streets? only hand would be 55...

everything else has to bet because of the straight and double flushes.