Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 11:23 AM

Default What to do when a scarecard comes

How would you play the turn. How would you play the river?

I have no read on villain.

Everest Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00/$2.00 (HH Converter by Kreatief)

MP3 (180.65)
CO (130.47)
Button (131.22)
SB (241.25)
BB (292.40) (Hero)
MP2 (352.05)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
MP2 calls $2.00, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, CO calls $2.00, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks,

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ( $7 )
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $7.00</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20.00</font>, MP2 calls $13.00,

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( $47 )
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20.00</font>, MP2 calls $20.00,

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( $87 )

A scarecard hits the turn. My resulting bet was way to small on the turn, I need to make villain pay for a draw. Villian could very well be limbing with a suited connetor. If he has the queen, it's too bad, he will raise and I will have to fold. There is a bigger chance he has a suited connector (with two hearts) than a queen. I'm ahead of his range.

I would make a pot sized bet on the turn, looking at the hand in retrospective, what would you do?

What would you do on the river? I can't get a worse hand to call here. I basically only beat A6. And even that hand would have folded a big bet on the turn (if we imageine I had make a big bet instead of $20), so I beat nothing. I would check/fold to a significat bet check/call a small bet (if he has a 9). A small blockerbet, fold to a big raise would also be ok in my opinion, what do you think?

How do you play a scarecard in general (like the Q on turn)? I f I suspect a draw i would not gie a free card. If there is no draw i would still bet out. Agaist an agressive opponent I rarely check, I won't give him the chance to take the pot away with a huge bet. How do you play a scarecard.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: What to do when a scarecard comes

B3B Flop, (This isnt a CR spot), Bet turn, then if he shows any more incentive in the pot its time to put down the chips and prepare to fold.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Oh and also, i dont know if this is belongs in this forum (Its 200 NL? lol)
Old 08-09-2007, 02:36 PM

The river is an easy check and call.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how its an easy check/call. What if we check and villain bets $60 in the $87 pot. Easy call, with QQ998 on that board? What exactly do we beat?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hand he beats on the river is a bluff.

I would check/fold without a read.

The only time I would check/call the river is if I know that he is aggressive and capable of bluffing missed draws.

What is are you hoping to beat on the river by check/calling? 95? 94? Since he's unknown, how do you know if he's going to vbet A6 enough to make your call profitable?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:55 PM

Check/fold the turn. Sorry that sounds so weak-tight, but Phil Gordon's term is apt here: you have "dog meat." You're way behind A9-95, TT-JJ, and of course drawing dead to anything with a queen, which is what the flop bet represented. If you have the best hand, more than half the deck would be scare cards on the river with two flush draws and all kinds of overcards.

Will people sometimes bet to pick up the pot with a draw here? Of course. You may have the better hand, but it's a hand that should scream reverse implied odds.

And yeah, why on earth are you playing online $1-2 NL?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:08 PM

Yes it is unfortunate that second queen appears, effectively weakening your hand. And then the third club is a real kick in the teeth when you're up against an aggro opponent because you don't know if they're bluffing like they do half the time or actually have the flush. :/
Old 08-09-2007, 05:00 PM

True. But I don't think you can ever win at NLHE until you get comfortable with the idea that you WILL get bluffed off of hands. Every day, in fact.

I tend to think too deeply about poker as a psychological game, and so I tend to make some dubious calls because I just know they're trying to push me off my hand. At higher stakes thin calls might be OK more often, but at NL25 they're a killer.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it is unfortunate that second queen appears, effectively weakening your hand. And then the third club is a real kick in the teeth when you're up against an aggro opponent because you don't know if they're bluffing like they do half the time or actually have the flush. :/

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know the villain is aggro?

This is exactly why c/c the river is -ev. You need reads. Otherwise you must give the villain the benefit of the doubt, lest you want to buy that information by calling.