Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 08:06 AM

Default NL50 Monster flop

What's your plan after the flop ?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $56.98
BB: $15.78
UTG: $65.98
MP: $49.25
CO: $117.33
BTN: $31.60

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $1.00</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $1.50</font>, Hero calls $1.25, BB folds, CO calls $0.50

Flop: ($5) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: NL50 Monster flop

First thing to realise - unless some is holding pocket aces, QA, a pocket pair which hits runner-runner on the turn and river for quads, or some very long-shot straight flush runner-runner draws, you are going to win this hand no matter what your opponents do.

First thing is to look at the possible holdings for your opponents. The raise from CO might be an attempt at a cheap steal from late position, or a straight value bet. But the re-raise from the button suggests a strong hand, encouraging the opponents to stay by offering nice odds, yet getting more money in the pot. My best guess without information on the button’s playing style would be a medium to high pair (Ts to As), or two high cards from 9 to A. CO could have called the re-raise with pretty much anything being offered 10 to 1 odds. Of these hands, only one is worrying (AA), and one is going to split (QA). However as two of the aces are already accounted for it is unlikely that any of the two remaining players have the aces, and the same with the AQ. So you need to forget about the possibility of aces or AQ, and play as if your hand is best.

A lot depends on your table image. As a tight player, a check is a must. Remember, as you hold all but 3 of the cards helped by this flop, it’s very likely that no one hit it at all, and a bet will simply chase them away. The perfect scenario is if someone has QK to Q9 and think their trips are best, or KK with only one overcard. KT or KJ might stick around with a gutshot straight draw, but its unlikely. No flush draws means suited cards will simply fold to a bet.

As a more aggressive player, a check might cause more suspicion than a bet, so go ahead and bet about ¼ to 1/3 of the pot. This looks like a feeler bet, and anyone with a straight draw, KK or JJ might stick around. AA and AQ are definitely staying, as is Q9 to QK. TT might stay, but it’s more unlikely.

Play on the turn and river completely depends on your opponents and their reactions. A perfect result would be to keep both players in all the way to the river, letting them do the betting, and putting in an unfoldable raise at the end, offering them great odds. If they have a Q you’re going to win all their money. If you get no bets on the flop after you check, you can’t rely on them betting the hand for you, so you should put in a small bet. If you do get action on the flop, flat call it if it’s small (indicating a drawing hand or a weaker hand such as a lower pair) or re-raise a larger bet. The flat call may indicate weakness that will induce a pot-sized bluff on the river, which would be nice!

Hope that helps

Magicman
Old 08-09-2007, 09:27 AM

bet flop 4$
bet turn
bet river
Old 08-09-2007, 09:32 AM

I'm probably check/raising here because I don't think leading at this pot will get any callers. If that fails then lead the turn.

You're not making any money here unless your opponent has an ace or a queen or is a total wanker.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:24 PM

well, both your opponents are donks bc they both min raised pre flop, that's good bc it will increase your chances of getting paid off, yes?

I hate slowplaying, but we're oop and we have the board locked, so I guess our best chance to get action is actually to slowplay

otoh, we're dealing with donks here, so a check/min raise on the flop, followed by a min bet on the turn might be pretty sweet
Old 08-09-2007, 12:26 PM

Bet big. Play it as if you were bluffing and trying to buy the pot.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:30 PM

Nice, thoughtful post, magicman [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM

in the absense of reads, I'd find it really hard to bet here, think i'd check, if raised and called before me i might raise, prob call if only only one person still with me. hope the person has AK or Qx and either bet/cr the turn, depending on the turn. don't see much more money going in, and letting someone catch up is pretty safe, as a str8 can't beat you and a PP turning into a full can't beat you.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM

Thanks. Nice to be of service [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I love this kind of problem. Its when we get 10 players limping into a pot and we have A 9 in middle position with a T98 single-suit flop thats the problem! Any views on this would be appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Nice to be of service [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I love this kind of problem. Its when we get 10 players limping into a pot and we have A 9 in middle position with a T98 single-suit flop thats the problem! Any views on this would be appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is actually a very easy hand to play.

Against a lot players, just check-fold. It's a very ugly flop, and against a lot of opponents, it's very likely that you are beaten, and if you hold the best hand, a lot hands could hurt you.