Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 PM

Default question for dealers

i've been dealing at a house for a couple months, we use tables that have a betting line... i usually deal cash games but recently we've had a night tournament that i've had to deal, last night i had to call the floor for this tournament situation

two players in a pot, the first person checks, second person makes a 3 chip bet (1500 in tournament checks)... the first person has his entire stack in his right hand, lifts it across the betting line (but not touching the table), and drops 3 chips to make the call

another player out of the hand says that that is an all-in move since all his chips crossed the line, even though clearly the intent of the player was to call

i called the floor and it was ruled an all-in raise

opinions? in our cash games, it is customary to allow people to move all sorts of amounts over the betting line to cut out checks for a call, for example to move an entire stack of 20 whites across the line and cut out two stacks of three to make a $6 call... i'm just not that familiar with tournaments

thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: question for dealers

My opinion is that lines suck, period. The way poker is supposed to be played is "Any chips released into the betting area with a forward motion will be in play". The whole stack, magic line to the ceiling this is absolutely absurd.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:04 PM

There are rooms that play this way, but they're stupid.

Clearly your room needs to define what the line is and how it works and have it in writing and made known to all players.

I see them as "courtesy lines" for the dealer. Betting should be intent, tho' I understand more nittiness in tournaments. The whole "in the betting zone's airspace" thing is absurd, but I have seen it enforced before.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:17 PM

Rules for betting, etc, should be the same in tournaments and cash games.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the players are different and have different traditions.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 PM

I think the Mandalay has the betting lines on their tables, or once your chips cross your cards it's considered a bet. I would hope this sort of thing gets standardized across poker rooms, to prevent issues.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Their rule sucks. It's any chips in your hand that cross the cards is a bet. This is terrible for players. DUCY?

note: unless it's changed recently, if you bring out 5 chips in a 4/8 limit game, they'd force you to raise because you had more than the call amount.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the players are different and have different traditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with RR, but regardless, my point was the the room had to be clear on its rules, and that I understand more nittiness about the rules - whatever they are - in tournaments. Whether they're the same or different from cash game rules doesn't change my statement.

Speaking of different rules, I feel a little saddened that I have to enforce string betting in my home NL game. Unless I misunderstand, traditionally NL has called betting over when the player came to rest. But to keep things simple, I enforce string betting. The experienced players know how to bet clearly anyway.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Speaking of different rules, I feel a little saddened that I have to enforce string betting in my home NL game. Unless I misunderstand, traditionally NL has called betting over when the player came to rest. But to keep things simple, I enforce string betting. The experienced players know how to bet clearly anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is in deep stack cash game only. Tournaments its one motion or call the amount. Small cap NL games seem to be playing the same way nowadays. Just an evolution of the game is all.