Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Landlord Issue....Advice Needed

I moved into a new apartment last week and there are some issues Im having with the apartment and new landlord.

1. None of the outlets in the bedroom work. No, it is not the circuit breaker. None of the outlets work. The landlord is not denying they dont work, but still not fixing them. She told us to run an extension cord from other outlets.

2. The water line is split between 2 units and in the landlords name. She wants us to pay a flat 35$ a month to her for the water. The water is not metered between units and there is no way to tell which unit uses how much water. Ive been renting apartments in Philadelphia for years now and no landlord has ever charged me for water. I believe it is the landlord's responsibility. This flat 35$ fee is included in the lease, which I signed.

How do I deal with these two issues?

So far, all of our conversations about these issues have been over the phone.

My plan of attack is to write a formal letter requesting the repair of the outlets and say it violates some building code. Is that correct? How do you find out what the building code is? FWIW, I am in Philadelphia and I have been all over local Philadelphia goverment sites with no luck.

If she doesn't get these fixed, is it then reasonable to hire my own electrician and deduct the costs from a months rent?

In regards to the water, what if I don't pay it? As far as I know, there is no way she can turn off the water without turning it off to both units. Additionally, I think she would get in lots of trouble for turning off the water to a unit for any reason. The bill is in her name. I would pay for the water if the units were individually metered, but I am not paying for water that I don't use. The problem is I signed the lease that said I would pay 35$ a month for water.

Im looking for general advice here, both commonsense and legal. How should I handle this?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Landlord Issue....Advice Needed

Tell her to fix the goddamn outlets or you are moving out.

You are screwed on the water though. Its in the lease and you signed it so how can you just not pay? And who cares about $35 for water? Wouldnt you end up paying more then that anyways?

Just to piss her off leave your bathtub running for 24 hours and see how she feels when she gets the bill.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. The water line is split between 2 units and in the landlords name. She wants us to pay a flat 35$ a month to her for the water. The water is not metered between units and there is no way to tell which unit uses how much water. Ive been renting apartments in Philadelphia for years now and no landlord has ever charged me for water. I believe it is the landlord's responsibility. This flat 35$ fee is included in the lease, which I signed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave the hot water running 24/7. Then when the landlord gets the astronomical bill, ask him if he'd like to amend the lease to pay per use.

Seriously though, why do people sign leases and then complain about the conditions of the lease?

There is no way to possibly tell who is using the water if it is split between apartments. Unless you are single paying the same as a family of 10, just pay the bill.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:40 PM

I like noahs idea, but Id leave the cold water running, so 1. you can take showers, 2. your gas/electric bill isnt high 3. it doesnt matter what the temp of the water you use is.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Leave the hot water running 24/7. Then when the landlord gets the astronomical bill, ask him if he'd like to amend the lease to pay per use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bonus points if the gas/electric used to heat the water isn't metered between units either.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:44 PM

I think you should accept the water thing. So no other landlord has charged you a "water fee" - you still paid them the rent that covered the water. Big deal if this one breaks it out for you. You signed the lease knowing how much you'd pay per month.

The outlet situation is crap though. I'd say stay polite and keep asking. If she continues to refuse tell her you are thinking about hiring an electrician and deducting the cost from your rent (depending on the laws in Philly this may be legal, but may not be). Don't do it (yet), just see if that's okay with her.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like noahs idea, but Id leave the cold water running, so 1. you can take showers, 2. your gas/electric bill isnt high 3. it doesnt matter what the temp of the water you use is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word, but whats the harm in not paying it all?

FWIW, I tried contacting this organization, but haven't had any luck yet. They are a Tenant Association for Philadelphia.

http://www.rturn.net/utilities.php
Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 PM

Whats the harm in not paying at all?

getting thrown out of your apartment, and making it hard to ever rent another one. You were stupid enough to sign the lease with that clause, so personally I think the onus is completely on you. The outlet thing is a different subject and completely [censored], and Id demand that get fixed.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats the harm in not paying at all?

getting thrown out of your apartment, and making it hard to ever rent another one. You were stupid enough to sign the lease with that clause, so personally I think the onus is completely on you. The outlet thing is a different subject and completely [censored], and Id demand that get fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]]

yah, i dont' even get why the water thing is even an issue. it was in lease. you knew about it. live with it.

as for the electricity thing, i'd demand it be fixed.

this is a no brainer.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:50 PM

What the [censored] is so bad abotu paying $35 for water? I can rack up $150 water bill easy.