Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Default FT: $10 50/100 Two pair on the turn with possible straight

Hi, this is my first post on the STT forum, so please bear with me. I'm a recreational SnG player, but I have a winning record with a 15% ROI at the $10 level (About 100 samples of 9-men SnG.) What I mean is I'm not great but I don't really suck.
I'm posting this hand because I'd like to know what other people would do on the turn spot. I have no read on the UTG, but the button has been playing horribly. I shakscoped him and he had and almost perfect 30 degree down slope, so it's safe to assume that he is a bad player.
It is down to five on the 50/100 level. My thoughts on the hand: preflop from the SB and with two limpers I don't want to raise KJs, I'd rather see the flop cheap (mistake?.) I flop top pair second kicker on a rainbow flop so I bet 3/4 of the pot. I'm surprised to see both of them calling. The turn brings a K giving me top two pair. I have about 1400 left and the pot is 1300. What are my options? Is this a standard all-in? Can I get away from someone having a set or a straight?
Maybe the hand is not that interesting, but like I said, this is my first post here, I'd like to know what you guys think.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Button (t2480)
Hero (t1835)
BB (t2330)
UTG (t2170)
MP (t4685)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t100, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t400) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t300, Button calls t300.

Turn: (t1300) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: FT: $10 50/100 Two pair on the turn with possible straight

preflop complete is good, dont raise it. push on turn looks good.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:44 AM

I like preflop.

I c/c flop as you have basically no chance to take it on this flop vs 3 people.

As played, I like a C/R all in to win a little more chips. Imo push &lt; CRAI because you miss value from worse hands and QT has you beat already anyway.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 PM

I don't understand why the c/c on the flop. In my mind I have a strong hand 5-handed (especially after everyone just limped), and I need to know where they stand. I c/c this flop like, never, but of course I might be wrong.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop complete is good, dont raise it. push on turn looks good.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't look good to me. That flop could have brought an open ended straight draw or a set for one of the villians. King on the turn presents a bit of a potential problem IMO.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 PM

Exactly. Let me tell you what happened. I thought about what to do, I was not sure what was the best play, especially when I have just the size of the pot left.
Well, when in doubt push, lol! so I did and got called by UTG with QT, blanked the river and I was gone.
The more I think about it I don't see how I can get away from this after the K and with my stack size. if I check and he bets ~600 I can't fold. If I push I'll only get called by a bigger hand, I guess it was just an ugly turn card.
Bdidd, if you say you don't like a turn push, what would be your line? c/f? that sounds kind of weak to me.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 PM

you're being results oriented, and that's bad. no matter what you want to get all your money on this flop, and the question is how is the best way to do that, not should i. you ran into a big hand and that sucks, but don't then go saying you should never make that play because the thinking behind it is flawed.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Let me tell you what happened. I thought about what to do, I was not sure what was the best play, especially when I have just the size of the pot left.
Well, when in doubt push, lol! so I did and got called by UTG with QT, blanked the river and I was gone.
The more I think about it I don't see how I can get away from this after the K and with my stack size. if I check and he bets ~600 I can't fold. If I push I'll only get called by a bigger hand, I guess it was just an ugly turn card.
Bdidd, if you say you don't like a turn push, what would be your line? c/f? that sounds kind of weak to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends what I know about the opponents. If I know them to be solid players, i might actually think long and hard about a fold if villain pushes on the turn.

If the opponent is solid, I would probably consider a check on the turn hoping that if the villian hit his straight he would slow play and check behind, giving you a freebie in trying to fill up on the river.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're being results oriented, and that's bad. no matter what you want to get all your money on this flop, and the question is how is the best way to do that, not should i. you ran into a big hand and that sucks, but don't then go saying you should never make that play because the thinking behind it is flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its still super early in this sng and you have plenty of chips. Why shove after the flop with top pair? Doesn't make any sense.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:06 PM

Chuck, I'm trying not to be results oriented and this is not a bad beat post. I wanted to know what more experienced players thought about what to do on the turn. I appreciate your responses.

Bdidd, I did not have a read on the UTG player. I think a check on the turn is not a bad idea given the drawy board, but again I don't really see how I'm not going broke with top two and the stack sizes.