Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 03:36 AM

Default What motivates you at the gym?

Anything specific for anyone? It's hard for me to imagine just working out without passion. I'm sort of [censored]-up and bring a picture of someone who royally screwed me and tape it on the wall when doing deadlifts/squats and it really helps me lift more/get mad/not think about any sort of aches or pains.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:20 AM

Default Re: What motivates you at the gym?

The dream of possibly playing semi-pro baseball.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:16 AM

i think one of the only lasting things that really truly helps with motivation (outside of athletic aspirations, which unfortunatley fade at some point) is trying to be healthy and improve you lifestyle and longevity on this earth.

i used to be motivated by aesthetics and one day i was asked why i was training so hard or what exactly i was training for and i thought about it and said the one true answer: i am training for life.

being fit and healthy and strong is the best way to live.
if that isn't enough just look at older people who haven't taken care of themselves and that should solve any problems that you could ever have with motivation.

train for life. J.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think one of the only lasting things that really truly helps with motivation (outside of athletic aspirations, which unfortunatley fade at some point) is trying to be healthy and improve you lifestyle and longevity on this earth.

i used to be motivated by aesthetics and one day i was asked why i was training so hard or what exactly i was training for and i thought about it and said the one true answer: i am training for life.

being fit and healthy and strong is the best way to live.
if that isn't enough just look at older people who haven't taken care of themselves and that should solve any problems that you could ever have with motivation.

train for life. J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great answer and outlook! I think that way too, as I've seen other family members of mine in poor health due to bad eating habits, lack of exercise or will to do anything beneficial physically for themselves. I went through a bad period a year ago where I just stopped working out entirely, and really packed on pounds/felt gross. Ever since I started using free weights over machine, I really feel better physically and about myself physically as well.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 AM

Vanity.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this and it didn't work for me. Then again, I have a girlfriend.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:07 AM

Competitiveness and ego...When I am there I want to lift more than anyone else there.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:12 AM

i have gotten back into exercising and weight training in the last couple months. i dropped off when i took up poker a few years ago.

aside from being healthier and living longer with a better quality of life, my motivation is now what it was back when i was 20. to look super fit so i can get chicks. i have learnt an important lesson since taking up poker. looking fit and toned>>>>>>money when it comes to picking up chicks. i used to get laid every other week when i was a super fit/dead broke uni student, and since ive become a fairly wealthy, overweight and sloppy poker player my booty factor has slipped to pretty much nothing. i decided my situation was unacceptable and am now in the process of turning things around. down 7kg's already with about another 10 to go before im back to my goal weight. feeling heaps better already!

it makes it even easier to keep motivated when i see one of the two smoking hot female trainers who took me for my appraisal and start up sessions. im hoping to nail at least one of them in the next 3 months once im in shape again, although it might be tough seeing as they both saw me at my worst [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 AM

Looking around the gym on a packed day can be fairly motivating, especially at the guys who I swear do three hours of arm work five days a week and never wear shorts to show their legs.

And yeah ego ldo.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:46 AM

fat people...