Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 01:36 AM

Default $55 PartyPoker - JJ near bubble facing massive overbet preflop

I don't have a good read on villain since I am 6-tabling. I don't recognize his name at all and I am one of the regular grinders. I have a note on him from some game I can't remember which says "Called all-in reraise preflop lvl1 with AJ"

The following hand comes up. I happen to be talking with a poker buddy on the phone at the time and we debate this hand for some time afterwards. <font color="black"> </font>

PartyPoker Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t4230)
CO (t4240)
Button (t2670)
Hero (t5770)
BB (t3090)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to t4200</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">

Your action?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: $55 PartyPoker - JJ near bubble facing massive overbet preflop

I call here, I can't imagine him shoving 21 BB's with better although it's possible I guess. In general I'd say these shoves are a medium-strong hand like 99, AQ, etc.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call here, I can't imagine him shoving 21 BB's with better although it's possible I guess. In general I'd say these shoves are a medium-strong hand like 99, AQ, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I read it exactly the same way. I pretty much instantly excluded AA/KK/QQ from his range. I can't remember the last time I saw a massive open push of AA/KK/QQ preflop.

I figured worst case I am racing AK/AQ with a decent chance of having him dominated. I could also pretty much lockdown 1st with a double up here.

My buddy felt it wasn't worth it to get involved with another big stack with the blinds still relatively low. He has a point as well. I actually used my entire time bank pondering the call, the first time I have ever done for anything other than button manipulation.

-Daddys_Visa-
Old 08-08-2007, 04:27 AM

I fold, because near the bubble he may be protecting a big PP to avoid fatal suck outs at this level.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a note on him from some game I can't remember which says "Called all-in reraise preflop lvl1 with AJ"

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the table, if it's a tough table I'd snap call against this player given his stupid moves earlier. If I can bully and pick up chips easily elsewhere I would fold.

You really should have some idea of his range by now though.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:43 AM

i call. JJ is really good and it is very rare for someone to do this with AA/KK. you will be flipping some, but it will be really nice the times he flips over 88-TT.

plus based on your note you know he is terrible so other stuff like AJ AT 77 77 could be in his range as well.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 AM

I call here, donks love to protect their 77 like this!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 AM

I fold.

In my experience it is as often a fancy play with AA as not. I have note at least on 5 guys who have only AA when they shove 15BB+ this.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:16 AM

As a regular STT player, I would call. My prob used to be trying to get into the top three rather than trying to win 1st. In my experience, this type of play is usually a small--medium pair by a player who just hopes to gamble b/c he has no idea how to play. This sometimes is AK, and almost never is QQ,KK,AA.....I would def. call.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 PM

I also think this is a read dependent call/push. Seems like you are dealing w/ someone who is not aware enough to get super tricky and shove AA here, or QQ/KK for that matter. What solid player would call a re-raise w/ AJ during the 1st level of a SNG (or even raise AJ, let alone call a re-raise.)

I'd say you have a good shot at dominating him or at least be flipping with him. Worst case scenario is you lose and are down to 6xBB. You wouldn't be dead in the water in this situation either. Best case scenario is you win and are now a dominating chip stack on the bubble---the best place to be.