Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 PM

Default First Job Dilemma

I have a dilemma.
I am currently working as an Intern in a field that I majored in and love. I really like the company and it would be a good foot in the door for other things down the line. The only problem is the team that I am working with has no openings. Only about 11 people on the team.

I interviewed and was offered a job with another team that is something that I could handle and am good at for now, it just isn't what I want to do as my career. The thing is since the skill level required to do the job is less, they are offering about 10-12K less than what I am looking for and could get in the field I am interning in.

The only reason I am thinking about accepting the offer(if I could negotiate about 5 more thousand on it) is because if a spot opens up with the team I want to be in, I would be set for a few years with great experience for future advancement.

The other reason I am thinking about taking the job is because I don't have anything else lined up and my internship is coming to an end in a month or two. If I didn't take the job I would have to move back home to search for one through college career fairs/Online job sites/Company websites.

Should I take less money for now and work for 6 months at a job for less money, hoping for a spot to open up or move home and rely on finding one.

My real interest is in Networking and the job they are offering is Help desk/Desktop Support. I feel very qualified to get an entry level networking job, I just haven't found anything yet.

Will probably cross-post somewhere to get more opinions.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: First Job Dilemma

If your financial situation allows you to afford it, hold out for something you love. Don't settle just cause it's a job.

That said, if you think it's realistic that a spot will open up with the group you want, and don't mind waiting a couple months, go for it.

It's what YOU want dude, why are you coming to others to tell you want you want?

- C -
Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 PM

I just want some insight.

My plan is if they don't budge on the money, is to find something else. I just am not sure if it's a good idea to walk away from a for sure paycheck while still applying to places.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Have you made it clear to the company that you'd be taking the job with the hope of switching teams?

No way I'd take it if they didn't know that I wanted to switch. Too easy to get stuck in the crappy job.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you made it clear to the company that you'd be taking the job with the hope of switching teams?

No way I'd take it if they didn't know that I wanted to switch. Too easy to get stuck in the crappy job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've made it clear. Since my next lease I'll have to sign is 6 months I figure if i don't switch teams then I'm out and moving on else where.

I think I've just made up my mind though. I didn't goto 4 years of college to settle. What they offered me is for people that went to a 2 year trade school.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've made it clear. Since my next lease I'll have to sign is 6 months I figure if i don't switch teams then I'm out and moving on else where.

I think I've just made up my mind though. I didn't goto 4 years of college to settle. What they offered me is for people that went to a 2 year trade school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, that is a beat.

If you really enjoy the people you're working with I can see working there for maybe a year, just to pick up some experience, but I definitely wouldn't blame you if you left now. If you think that there's a chance you might get stuck there if you spent a significant amount of time there I would be looking elsewhere, for sure.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to do networking? Why did you go to a 4 year school then? There is no difference between a 2 and a 4 year degree if you are going into networking, as far as pay in most cases. Get your Cisco degrees and maybe that will make a difference.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 PM

I am CCNA certified currently.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am CCNA certified currently.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, ok, then use it as a bargaining chip, but networking in 99% of cases just isnt that specialized anymore, or really hard, so they can really get away with someone w/o a traditional 4 year degree pretty easily, as in most cases both graduates know enough to do the job. If they dont need you for cisco, or anything, and its just a normal office type workplace, Id go somewhere else. elaborate a little more on the setup, and we can probably help out a little more.