Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 05:58 PM

Default NL 10 - Back again with a river bluff

After thee last one i have been trying to figure out better spots to try this. No stats on Villan because i dont have PT or a hud on. Hows the call pre-flop?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $2.71
BB: $4.53
UTG: $14.15
UTG+1: $2.15
MP1: $4.75
MP2: $5.85
Hero (MP3): $10.25
CO: $2.11
BTN: $9.50

Preflop: Hero is dealt 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9 Players)
2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.60</font>, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.55) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 Players)
MP1 checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets $0.90</font>, Hero calls $0.90, 2 folds

Turn: ($4.35) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP2 checks, Hero checks

River: ($4.35) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.36 -- put him all-in</font>
Old 08-06-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: NL 10 - Back again with a river bluff

PF limp in I hate...It's a fold...

River bet is meh, however, Mp2 could likely have a draw and your 3hi isn't winning at showdown without firing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After thee last one i have been trying to figure out better spots to try this. No stats on Villan because i dont have PT or a hud on. Hows the call pre-flop?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $2.71
BB: $4.53
UTG: $14.15
UTG+1: $2.15
MP1: $4.75
MP2: $5.85
Hero (MP3): $10.25
CO: $2.11
BTN: $9.50

Preflop: Hero is dealt 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9 Players)
2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.60</font>, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.55) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 Players)
MP1 checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets $0.90</font>, Hero calls $0.90, 2 folds

Turn: ($4.35) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP2 checks, Hero checks

River: ($4.35) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.36 -- put him all-in</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...For starters:

Preflop: 23s is a terrible hand in early position pre-flop, and should be thrown away almost if not every time. Calling the preflop raise was bad as well.

Flop: What do you hope to gain by calling? If you are attempting a semi-bluff with your weak flush draw, you need to raise here. Calling accomplishes nothing but gets more money into a pot when you have no hand, no idea where you are and a sketchy draw.

Turn: If you had re-raised the flop, his check on the turn would be an invitation to take down the pot with a nice bet. However, if for some reason you are dead set on stealing this pot, this is the time to do it.

River: There are no reasons to bet here. The only hand that will call you is one that has you beat.

I'll let others more if they chose to.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:20 PM

No fizzle, he understand only hands that he beats call, thats why its a river bluff...?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OK...For starters:

Preflop: 23s is a terrible hand in early position pre-flop, and should be thrown away almost if not every time. Calling the preflop raise was bad as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, it seems low SC's arent very popular so it's time to start folding them.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: What do you hope to gain by calling? If you are attempting a semi-bluff with your weak flush draw, you need to raise here. Calling accomplishes nothing but gets more money into a pot when you have no hand, no idea where you are and a sketchy draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since MP2 donked it i didnt really know what too do as if i raise and the pre-flop raiser shoves and MP2 calls i am in a bit of tough spot so I decided to call hoping too see a cheap enough turn card. I can also get away from the hand cheaply enough if they both get it all in on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: If you had re-raised the flop, his check on the turn would be an invitation to take down the pot with a nice bet. However, if for some reason you are dead set on stealing this pot, this is the time to do it.

River: There are no reasons to bet here. The only hand that will call you is one that has you beat.

I'll let others more if they chose to.

[/ QUOTE ]

If i bet anything on the turn it commits him, he is going to call me down with a T, Q or draw. The only hand he folds on the turn is a bluff.

River: Since betting is the only way i can win the hand i decide to chance my arm.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If i bet anything on the turn it commits him, he is going to call me down with a T, Q or draw. The only hand he folds on the turn is a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the only hand he folds on the river is a bluff. Waiting until the river, however, gives villain one more free card to make a hand or improve his hand to the point he's not afraid of you. Shove the turn, if that's what you want to do. No need to wait.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No fizzle, he understand only hands that he beats call, thats why its a river bluff...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but that board...I guess I can concede that the river shove was the only way to take it down, but would you agree a turn shove would accomplish the same thing, only better (no free card)?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but that board...I guess I can concede that the river shove was the only way to take it down, but would you agree a turn shove would accomplish the same thing, only better (no free card)?

[/ QUOTE ]

He has a crappy FD and it looks on teh turn w/ his flop bet and turn cehck that Mp2 also has some sort of draw, and we are going to be getting looked up by Mp2's draw on the turn I would assume... Teddie is right by just taking his free turn river.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He has a crappy FD and it looks on teh turn w/ his flop bet and turn cehck that Mp2 also has some sort of draw, and we are going to be getting looked up by Mp2's draw on the turn I would assume... Teddie is right by just taking his free turn river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. IMO he just let someone with a 6 and a backdoor club flush draw, or a 9 (which would explain the bet after the flop) get there.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, considering he has precisely the board I'd say this is probably a true statement. I don't have much problem with the bluff. It seems pretty convincing to me that you have trips or better so you fold a huge percentage of the hands he could have. It would be better if you had some kinda reads on the villain though.

Edit: Meant to add that a fold PF was the best line here. Limping in isn't the worst play in the world, but once it gets raised the jig is up.